on 10 August 2017
Interesting, sometimes difficult book that casts a light - and shadows - on the Fleetwood Mac phenomena.
However the read was completely ruined by the poor binding of this glossy paperback that made the book fall apart less than 50% of my way through it. It's hopeless when you pick up s book to read and have to contend with pages fling everywhere. Thus poor review
I really enjoyed this insight into Fleetwood Mac shocking in places
on 1 October 2014
The story of eight years spent in the heart of Fleetwood Mac as the girlfriend of great guitarist/singer/songwriter Lindsey Buckingham is an anguished tale of talent, decency, drugs, riches, privilege and grief. If you like a good tale (and, probably, if you are female) then this is fascinating. Carol Ann Harris describes Buckingham as the 'Heathcliff of the band' and as 'half man and half pure music - savage, unformed and fundamentally dangerous'. All five members of the band seemed like decent people in many ways. But their talent and their wealth made them obsessive and gave them access to as much drink and drugs as they could take. The book charts their musical rise - from the launch of 'Rumours' - and their personal fall (into substance abuse, infighting, separations, ill health and other problems). They all tried to get away from each other at times. Carol Ann Harris writes near the end of how she viewed leaving the wealthy man who was Lindsey Buckingham. She writes"..everyone that I knew had a lot of money and they weren't happy. I just didn't want it."
on 9 January 2017
I absolutely loved this book and could not put it down, being a fan of Fleetwood Mac I was interested to read a little more about the band life and Carol Ann has written it with sensitivity and a heartfelt loyalty with each page coming to life as you turn it. It re-sparked my love of the band’s music and I found myself listening to their tracks and hearing with new ears the wonderful haunting and melodic sounds that are Fleetwood Mac, the music now seems all the more precious with the knowledge of how much they all went through for their love of it.
As well as permitting the reader to peer curiously backstage, Carol Ann also delivers a very important message that you cannot stay in an abusive relationship and illustrates how hard it is to leave when you love someone to the very core, as she did LB, but to be able to open the door and step out of the cage is something that takes great courage and Carol Ann did so with a quiet dignity and without bitterness, that certainly has my respect.
I highly recommend this book, it was superb 5*
A.K.
on 3 September 2013
I have to be honest I HATED this book when I started to read it. All the 'oh my god oh my god I'm Lindsey Buckingham's girlfriend' gushing. All the self proclaiming 'I love my man', and the endless 'he said this, then she said that' retelling of conversations in minute detail like Vicky Pollard from Little Britain... it all got right on my nerves. I put it down at first to the fact that I am a huge fan of the band and was almost protective I guess about the music I hold in such high regard. But then I realised that the writing was just really annoying!!

However, she slowly drops that style and settles into the story telling and it gradually becomes a really good book. Nobody comes out of it looking particularly great I must say, even the writer, and as other reviews have said you have to give her credit for not trying to paint a whiter than white picture of herself. She was in there in the thick of it enjoying the spoils with the rest of them and she accepts the final consequences too of the lifestyle she participated in. Which makes the books very believable.

Whilst there are two sides to a story I don't think there is any doubt about the fact that Lindsey Buckingham wasn't a very nice person during that period. That should be a known fact to any half informed Fleetwood Mac fan even before reading this book, but even if you take away the domestic abuse story from within it, the reader still can't get away from the fact that he was a very, very unpleasant person. Far more so than people realise. So if you're a fan of the band you really should be prepared to not be able to escape that fact. They all had their flaws, and whilst Stevie Nicks was undoubtedly insane, for example, the sheer malice and vindictiveness Buckingham approached each day with is quite shocking. It's a tough read really from that point of view.

I liked the book and I liked that it added a lot of depth to the background stories that spawned Rumours and how those issues continued to shape the daily life of the band. It won't tell you anything new necessarily beyond what we already know, but it does put the wider human and social element to it all and how it impacted on those around the five band members. I liked it. Eventually. But I liked it.
on 20 July 2015
Recently saw The Mac at the 02 and I thought this would be an interesting read.
It is not.. It seems to be sensationalism at it's very worst. I get the feeling it was written either for revenge or just for money.
I accept the group probably did drugs and alcohol, but much of it seems contrived and out of proportion.
I guessed from the start there would be a baby somewhere along the line. (miscarried apparently)
I dont know maybe it is just me - but I just felt this was not a nice book at all and I hated it.
on 14 June 2010
This book is a great read, interesting, full of backstage and insider info and anecdotes, a real must for any FM fans.

BUT it does have a few drawbacks, particularly the lack of photos - there are a handful of poor quality pics, a real shame there weren't more.

CAH's written style can be a bit annoying at times as she keeps announcing what is to come or summarising what she has just told you rather than just getting on with it.

More than anything I think this book leaves you wanting more. You have to take what she says at face value, even though at times you wonder how true it all is, but I was left wanting to get the rest of the band's side of the story too.

I would definitely recommend it to any music fans out there as it is a great slice of history.
on 20 October 2013
I couldn't put this book down, which for
me signifies a good read. If you want the inside story of fleetwood mac during their most exciting years as a band then you'll love it (though don't expect it to be pretty, dramatic is probably a better word for it). Only slight issue I had with it was her writing style was occasionally a little poor, the content makes up for it though.
on 23 September 2015
I was given this book by a friend who knew I liked Fleetwood Mac, I found this book a better read than Visions, Dreams and Rumours by Zoe Howe which I had read a month previously. What was interesting was I had read VD&R first and both books give their accounts of the same incidences that happened but with each giving their side to the story, so when reading this I was mentally comparing versions.

Carol Ann Harris's account of her life with Lyndsey Buckingham is no holds barred, Lyndsey was just not a nice person at all, he is consumed with music to the point of insanity which makes functioning normally in other areas of his life a big task. He is portrayed in this book as a needy, controlling, manipulative, domestic abuser who will use any force possible to get compliance and his point across, although the abusive episodes are Carol Ann's version of events you get the feeling she is being truthful and I felt that I was walking on eggshells around him knowing what is coming next.

Carol gives a good insight to the lives of the band members, the relationships they have with each other, their personal ones, their life on the road and their drink and drug habits all done to excess. I got the feeling that Carol Ann was initially being used by Lyndsey to annoy Stevie, but because Stevie never took the bait Lyndsey just continued on with the union. Lyndsey never quite got over being dumped by Stevie, his behaviour towards her was deplorable, she is either very forgiving or very resilient !!! but before Fleetwood Mac they were in a relationship together and she lived with him and kept him for a few years while working a waitress job to pay the bills so he could concentrate on his music, maybe during this time she had a taste of his darker side and that's how she got rid, but we will only know that if Stevie writes her own autobiography, now that is one book I would love to read.
on 5 August 2015
If you can get past the authors cringingly sycophantic dribblings and massive over use of the terms "the Fleetwood Mac family" and "the inner circle" it's a good insight into the famous behind the scenes turmoil of the band and the violent, spoiled egotist that was Lindsey Buckingham at his peak. Only 3 stars due to my perpetual nausea of the authors obvious hero worship made it difficult to sometimes keep my dinner down.