Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 30 June 2016
This is a detailed text for therapists who want to know the underpinning bodily and psychotherapeutic mechanisms to working with trauma in a Somatic Experiencing way. There's stuff here that I didn't know, and was fascinated by, despite having 20 years of clinical experience.
on 7 June 2017
I found this to be an excellent book in offering a 'new' perspective on trauma and how it impacts on the whole body self. Levine's exploration of trauma is grounded in long experience of dealing with people who have been traumatised. While technical in places the book is written in a very accessible manner for the non-professional. Well worth a read if you want insight into how to deal with trauma somatically rather than rationally.
on 5 April 2015
Probably the best reference for his work but a little indulgent in how it's written. Losing chunks of repetition would help.
on 8 May 2016
Brilliant knowing someone going through trauma touches area NHS and counselling type therapies will never touch - revealing and brilliant!
on 21 February 2017
I think the information contained in this book is very valuable in explaining the effect of stress on the body and how to purge it, even if it happened a long time ago. My only reservation is that it takes a long time to get to the places which tell you how to deal with it. I understand that this is a book about the author's life's work, but maybe I should have chosed a different book to learn how to apply his knowledge.
on 28 February 2013
I am doing a Masters in psychotherapy and this book is on the reading list. I have already read 'Waking the tiger'
Easy to read and very interesting. Can't wait for the book that Peter Levine is going to write which includes spirituality.
22 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2017
OK
on 5 April 2015
Very well written and it has helped me tremendously in learning to release unresolved trauma. Having tried many other techniques, this one actually works and enables you to release previously "locked" feelings and emotions, physically from your body. A must read and highly recommended.
on 30 March 2016
This is very powerful work, and needs to be read with some caution and awareness if you are a person who has lived trauma, I have had to read it a bit at a time and process some things that have come up for me as I go...... I think that is important to consider when to read a book of this nature and to observe oneself and feelings as you are doing so, there is a lot of learning just there.... The nature of the work of course can and most likely will have triggers....but brilliant, I have new hope for my life and the work I would love to do.... This book is informative, practical, and an easy to read from a lay out point of view... I have two of his other books too, he is a really great teacher, and gives examples all the time, which for me help anchor in the work.. Highly recommend any of Peter Lavine's work.
on 13 May 2015
A life changing book for people suffering with PTSD, a physical condition caused by trauma trapped in the body or anyone involved in their care. Peter Levine explains how an interrupted fight or flight response can lead us to freeze in a state of perpetual terror. Many of his conclusions about the human stress response arose from his study of animals in the wild. Why it is that prey animals, whose lives are an endless series of brushes with death, recover so easily and quickly. It turns out it's because once the danger has passed they literally shake it off. Have you ever noticed how after an accident, or other traumatic event, you start shaking? This is the body's way of discharging the trauma (stress chemicals that flood the body at such times) allowing us to regain calm within the system. This book is informative, fascinating and easy to read, the culmination of Peter's life work. It also includes details of his own road accident in which he got to put his theories to the test and avoid PTSD himself. I can't recommend the book highly enough. I'm looking forward to the day when it's on the reading list for paramedics and training doctors so frontline people can do the right thing on all levels in the event of people suffering trauma.