on 1 May 2015
This book contains a lot of common sense - we all need to eat more fruit and vegetables. The typical modern diet is full of refined sugar, unhealthy fats, processed meat and too many carbs. However, there are some very unscientific points such as suggesting our diet should be 99.4% the same as a chimp because we have DNA that matches theirs to the tune of 99.4%. By that logic we should have a diet 90% the same as a house mouse! It does not work like that.

Also our species clearly evolved to be omnivorous, which is backed up by the archaeological record. We likely became a lot more intelligent than chimps because we found ways to include more protein in our diets. Nonetheless we would have eaten a great deal more green vegetation and fruit than most people today. We have taken things to extremes and many studies are now revealing the importance of green vegetables for immune system function and other critical biological processes. So I think she is right, but sometimes for the wrong reasons.
If you set aside the ardent raw foodist beliefs and soak up the excellent nutritional facts contained within this book then you won't go far wrong. It is fascinating that the author and her family resolved a number of health issues by drastically changing their diets. There is an important lesson here, no doubt, so don't be put off by the pseudo science. My friend's brother resolved his type 2 diabetes by switching to a low carb, vegan lifestyle.

Do I believe diet can fix a lot of problems? Yes.
3 people found this helpful
on 28 March 2014
Really why are we not taught this stuff in school? I believe Victoria Boutenko and her family are among the key people leading the food and eating revolution that will eventually get us all back on track to a life without cancer, obesity etc etc. Anyway this is a great book, an easy read and will give you a simple and tasty way to eat more greens. The author is one of the pillars of the raw food community but even if you have no intention of converting to a raw food diet you should read about the possibilities and benefits of drinking green smoothies.
6 people found this helpful
on 12 April 2016
Very interesting read which all makes so much sense. Victoria advises us to eat/blend more greens into our lives because they are the source of healing many ailments and diseases, including cancer. She advises getting a strong blender (Vitamix which is very expensive and I'm pondering whether to buy it: the reviews for this blender are excellent) and I've been inspired to follow her lead to better health. I am already healthy but want to optimise my health in order to prevent any ailments later in life. Well worth buying this book as it will open your eyes to improved health.
One person found this helpful
on 9 October 2013
Wow! I loved this book, mainly because she is writing from her own her experience and then trying to back it up with some evidence rather than trying the other way round as some books usually do.

I knew a lot of information before purchasing this book but there are still a lot of things to learn from this book, eg. how chimapanzees eat and what we supposed to eat. Human is the only one person that has evolved more than any other species, yet the only one who doesn't know what to eat. This book definitely makes it a lot clearer :)
|0Comment|Report abuse
Honest presentation from Victoria as to what she had done personally with her health, where it went astray, how to get back to health. Data regarding vitamins, minerals, etc., is easy to understand & can be put into practice by anyone who has a mind to. Easy to read & digest. For me this book is a keeper, great reference book for quick 'what was said about that' refreshers.
One person found this helpful
on 2 March 2013
Victoria Boutenko only eats raw foods but even if you do not want to do that but would like to get healthy anb have more energy this is a great book to read. You don't have to understand the tables about nutrition that are in the book (I found them a little difficult to follow) but her story on how greens can cure ailments and make you feel healthy are very interesting. I still eat cooked foods but I am more fussy now what cook foods I eat because eating/driniking the green smoothies (there are recipies on the back of this book which I don't follow strictly I just make up my own along with fruit soothies; and I use an ordinary blender) put me off junk food. This does take a few weeks to happen. I have a green smoothie for breakfast every morning and sometimes a fruit soothie too and feel so much better since this. This book is well worth the money!!!
3 people found this helpful
on 28 December 2013
Really interesting read, useful recipes at the back, and has got me into the whole green smoothie thing. Its the sort of book you can dip in and out of - you don't need to read it from start to finish.
on 23 October 2011
This book gives a real insight to the benefits of eating your greens. If we all took notice of Victoria Boetenko then there would be a dramatic drop in ill health. I have adopted the green way of life now and I must admit that I feel really well now and full of energy. Read this book and take note of how it changes you for the better when you follow the advice .
on 4 October 2014
This is a great book. I've been having green smoothies for a while now and its true what she says that you really start to crave them! I also have a Vitamix and it couldn't be easier to whizz up. Highly recommended.
2 people found this helpful
on 7 July 2016
Highly recommended! The basis of diet. Teach you a lot than no doctor will ever tell you. Not even the media.
2 people found this helpful