Customer reviews

on 5 May 2014
This is a ground breaking book that goes beyond being a text book for those studying human anatomy. It presents the way a body 'works' in a clear way, in simple language that is engaging. It is readable for academics, and the non-academic who wants to get some understanding, without taking an examination. It puts several points of view on health issues that are topical, such as how much water you should drink for good health. The author breathes new life into anatomy by including a holistic philosophy that gives greater meaning and reverence to the wonderful workings of our bodies. I could not put it down!
on 19 August 2014
Not as holistic as expected... General anatomy with a holistic overview
on 22 May 2016
Excellant book, totally readable for any layman with no medical jargon. Refreshing.
on 2 August 2016
As a student of nutritional therapy I was rather dreading the anatomy and physiology part of the course. I find the body fascinating but the necessary, yet rather heavy scientific lingo did not have me jumping for joy Then a friend passed me his copy of this gem. Needless to say it has had me jumping for joy on more than one occasion. It is so readable and makes such a refreshing change from my rather heavy core course book. It is a must for those studying 'alternative' therapies and one I would recommend to even the most conventional of person.
on 23 April 2010
A very interesting and enjoyable book to read.

I am fairly familiar with the sciences and have been studying anatomy and physiology as part of my uni course, and this book, though not as in-depth as my text books, provided something they didn't - it helped link up and fill in gaps surrounding my other knowledge, giving a good grounding, looking at the body in a way that brings love and awe, and even giving ways of living a more healthy, balanced life (did you know that studies have shown paracetamol to make the flu last days longer? Now I know!)

I also like all the little deviations from mainstream science: studies done at the fringes and traditions of other cultures. This to me seems so important in a world where often only a very limited and limiting perspective is given.

So overall, I think my knowledge and life has been in someways enriched by reading this book.
on 2 May 2017
I read this book with two other a&p books, reading each chapter in conjunction with the modules I was studying. One book was aimed at therapists, one was Ross & Wilson, lent to me by a nurse, so I had three different perspectives to each chapter. I found this book to be so, so useful and really helped my lessons to 'stick'.

Three years after studying, I'm still dipping in and out of it as reference and and clearly recall some passages as the topics have come up in discussion. A great read and I will continue to use the book.
on 1 May 2010
Finally a user-friendly anatomy book! I am no scientist and all the anatomy textbooks I've looked at over the years have been really offputting and intimidating. Pip Waller's book is clearly set out and presents Western anatomy/physiology in a conventional order whilst querying many of the scientific assumptions that have shaped the discipline. It's packed with juicy and provoking insights and is written in a very readable way with clear and well-labelled illustrations. Highly recommended for the lay reader!
on 29 March 2010
Pip Waller's 'Holistic Anatomy' was just the book I needed to really get to grips and truly understand the functions and sheer magic of the human body... most books I'd read before were rather too medically termed for my understanding, so coming across this book was the first time for me that such scientific knowledge started to sink in. This just goes to show that Pip Waller's in depth and accessible compilation of our anatomy is both enlightening and thoroughly engaging with its amusing, down to earth level that speaks to you rather than at you.
on 27 March 2010
Pip writes in an enthusiastic and friendly style. This book has great appeal not just for students of anatomy but also for students of life. Clear explanations and diagrams about our bodies, as well as tons of little snippets of related information. Ever wanted to know what kinds of fats are beneficial and what your body does with them?, or why measles can be good for you?, or what is the shamanic view on disease and healing? this book will answer all these questions and many more. This fabulous book re-awakened my sense of awe and wonder about how our bodies work, and how so many things in and around us are connected.
on 21 October 2010
Holistic Anatomy: An Integrative Guide to the Human Body

This book is fantastic; I have read it like a novel devoured from front to back. I love Pip Waller's style of writing keeping it interesting and applicable all the way through.

Her depth of knowledge on the human body, health and spirit clearly comes across -what a total pleasure.

I am using it as a text for my students and I am sure many will learn and grow from reading this wonderful book.