on 20 July 1999
I am glad started reading this writer, I started with "More than Human," which was excellent and these will not disappoint. A mixture of clever SF and Ghost stories. A word of warning though. DO NOT read the introduction. It was written by some one who gives away the climax to another Sturgeon story, Thunder and roses. That really annoyed me. But that was not put the by T.S. !
on 27 November 1998
Okay, I have never read this book, but I would like to comment on the short story, Microcosmic God as it has always been one of my favorites. My dad told it as a bed time story when I was younger and I've actually read it several times since then. The story involves a brilliant scientist named Kidder, who has absorbed the sum total of man's knowledge and is frustrated by the fact that he will not live long enough to witness future breakthroughs in technology. The logical solution of course, is for him to create his own race of beings (called Neoterics), with a faster metabolism and shorter lifespan (about 12 days, I think), so that he can observe their evolution and eventually learn from their discoveries. It is truly amazing that Sturgeon is able to pull off this level of scientific arrogance in a realitively succinct and believable manner (after all it is a SHORT story). Can the creation of intelligent life possibly be so simple? Hardly, but I was willing to swallow the premise, because the idea is fascinating and I truly wanted to know how it would turn out. I can easily understand why Kidder would go to such lengths in order to glimpse the future of mankind. Of course, the story also includes an evil banker, Conant, who wants to exploit Kidder's inventions (such as a pill that cures the common cold) for profit, but by far the most absorbing aspect of the plot is the Neoterics themselves. Kidder keeps them in a large covered atrium (they are extremely small) and observes them through a magnifier. While human rights activists would obviously protest Kidder's treatment of the Neoterics (in one instance he lowers the roof of the atrium steadily over a period of time, causing widespead distruction and panic, and waits for them to create a support system out of tinfoil) one can't help being impressed by their resourcefulness and the collective way they respond to every threat. Kidder creates a written language for the Neoterics and begins communicating w/them. It is soon apparent that they believe him to be God. I don't want to ruin the outcome of the story, but I would definitely recommend this as a quick read for anyone, not just science fiction lovers. It explores the themes of faith and mortality in very original way.
on 15 September 2014