Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 March 2009
First of all, I have to agree with most other reviewers that this book is an amazing source of information, extremely well researched, very balanced also, not trying to prove one or another theory or promote a lifestyle, but really just trying to help. It inspires a lot of confidence and is a great companion in my life. I am very grateful to Paul Pitchford for this invaluable contribution to our cultural heritage...

However, be careful... It is very hard for someone who has not had serious training in Eastern medicine to really grasp concepts as "dampness", "dryness", "heat" and "cold". So it can be dangerous in the sense that one may totally misunderstand one's own condition, and then start to act according to what Pitchford prescribes for this condition - and end up getting worse, because one doesn't have this condition but another one... This has happended to some degree to myself and my wife - nothing dramatic though, but still, a bit of a pity. So now we go to a practitioner in Chinese medicine (an acupuncturist), who diagnoses us, and only then we look up in Pitchford's book what is appropriate food for us, what to avoid and what to use more. In this way, it is a great help.

So to sum it all up: a real treasure; with lots of essential things that everyone should know about food and health; based on profound insight and experience; but I would recommend that <diagnosis> of your specific condition is made by an experienced practitioner of Chinese medicine, and not by yourself on the basis of this book - however tempting it may be...

(And for those interested in macrobiotics - see this as the full, original, authentic and extended version of what Kushi and others have popularized, simplified and somewhat twisted...)
on 4 October 2009
This book is amazing. If you are at all interested in which foods are good for you and what they actually do for you then this is a book for you. If you are suffering from a particular ailment or illness and want to know which foods are going to be beneficial and which should be avoided then this is the book for you. It can be used as a reference, a guide and, in my opinion comes close to being a bible for food and nutrition.
Paul Pitchford is hugely respected in his field and there has been no skimping on research. A great deal of information is backed up by scientific research and evidence.
Well worth the purchase. I recommend it to anyone and everyone.
on 17 July 2007
In my opinion, two of the major determinants of health today are food and attitude. It's true that, 'you are what you eat,' but it must also be said that to a great extent, `you are what you think.'

This book covers the first par excellence and the second comes across in the gentle and enlightened manner of the author. It is a most detailed source book on planning and preparing an optimal diet, giving a really good understanding about the science, eastern and western, and beneficial life habits underlying healthy eating and lifestyle, and aside from that it is just plain fascinating. It is very large, you can dip into it and read the sections that most interest you (all of them) and it has recipes. The section on children's nutrition and upbringing is first rate as well as delightful - read the last sentence. This book will change the way you look at food forever even if you don't take up all of the suggestions.

Every doctor, healer and therapist should recommend it as part of their treatment
on 13 December 2007
This is an East Asian approach to nutrition; don't let that put you off though. Give this book a chance and you will not regret it. I have many books on nutrition both in the western and eastern view and this one I always refer back too.
Eastern approach to nutrition breaks away from the western idea that one diet suits everyone. Follow the guide to your constitution and optimum health will follow. Uses the five element theory.
I could never understand why I was always so tired, lethargic and mucusy until I followed the advice in this book and cut out eating dairy and consumed more bitter flavoured foods recomended for "damp" bodies. My hair/ Skin/ fitness and general zest-for-life have all seen a vast improvement.
If i could i would give this book more that five stars, Still completely in awe of this book and the effect it has had on my life.
on 10 November 2007
This book is the staple textbook for any student naturopathic nutritionist. It combines Asian Traditions and modern nutrition into one text. It is a large book with 753 pages which covers every aspect of this facinating subject. It is a indispensible guide for nutrition studies and much of the work is translatable into practice. As an added bonus it gives the properties and energetics of wholefoods and list recipes for using food as medicine. This book will undoubtably be used for many years to come.
on 16 February 2009
This is a wonderfully thorough book for someone who is dedicated to natural healing through whole foods. It's not light bed-time reading, but neither is it a book you will forget you have.
on 21 February 2014
You don't have to need to follow Asian traditions in order to learn much from this fantastic book. I use it regularly. Because I'm inquisitive, in addition to caring about my diet, this is a truly exceptional 'reference' book. The recipes are very good too.
on 17 April 2014
I have bought this book three times (for myself) over the years, several times for friends and family members, and I highly recommend it to everyone that asks me about my dietary transformation. I still refer to it at least once a week. This book is an absolute "must-have" for anyone serious about their healing, detox and overall health. It's easy to read, very thorough, and appropriate for all levels.
on 15 June 2016
I had a gum fistula (a tiny tube which carries infection from the root of a tooth to the gum) and had the option of root canal treatment or extraction. Having read up on bacterial infections in this book I opted for extraction. I had to go on a waiting list and, in the interm, followed the advice in this book and used oregano oil as a natural antibiotic. This is an enormous book, one to dip into rather than read from cover to cover. If you are considering having a root canal but don't want to buy the book just Google `Weston Price' - he's the dentist who discovered the pitfalls of root canal.
on 31 December 2013
With so much contradictory information about food and their harmful or healing powers, this book is full of facts. Paul takes a pragmatic rather than an evangelical approach which I found very acceptable.