Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit

Customer reviews

on 14 March 2005
This book was written in 1938 but it is timeless. I read it as an inspiration to start writing, but it is in fact a book about life in general. It makes you stop and think about how you are living your life and whether you are doing the thing that you feel most passionate about, whatever that thing may be. Brenda Ueland is an inspiration - there should be more teachers like her. I borrowed this book from a library but will be buying it and recommending it to anyone who cares to listen!
on 1 July 2015
My go-to inspiration every time I feel crippled by self-doubt.
on 22 February 2013
Written with wisdom and generosity, the kind of book I will keep on my shelf as an old friend years from now.
VINE VOICEon 3 September 2009
Like one reviewer said, eventhough it's been written in 1938 this book is timeless.

I am writing as someone who's not a writter, English is not even my first language. I found this book really inspiring, it's not only about writing, it's about inspiration and how to express yourself in the more honest way.

writing is one of the most important skill, in your personal life and professional, this is definitely a classic to own.
on 26 May 2009
I work as a professional writer (journalism and copywriting mainly) but my creative writing took a nosedive years ago and I have been struggling to resurrect it for ages. Consequently, I am always on the look out for books which spark off the creative fire within, and needless to say my bookshelves are groaning under the weight of those which I have bought, read and not yet read over the years.

I stumbled across the reviews for this title and thought it was worth a shot, and have to say it is quite simply the best book on writing that I have ever read (and I've read loads!). It absolutely worked for me and I have spewed out thousands of words since I read it without stopping. They are not all necessarily good, but as the book explains, that's not the point.

Buy it now without hesitation, and get on with writing!
on 4 December 2009
This book really makes me want to continue my writing. Brenda Ueland's advice is spot on and through illustrative examples from her writing class and through her own writing she demonstrates that it works. Even though the book was written in 1938 it's still as relevant today as it was then. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to find a way to express their inner creativity! It's an inspirering and uplifting book!
on 23 September 2010
I'm not commenting on the book - just this particular edition by BN publishing. I've never encountered so many typos in one book in my life. I can't believe it was proof-read - unless the proofreader was dyslexic. There are countless blank lines interrupting the flow of the text.

Here are some examples of the errors I've found:
Chapter 7 - Be carless... should read 'Be careless'.
Chapter 12 - Art is inflection ... should read 'Art is infection'.

There is no information about either the book or the author. From Wikipedia I find that Brenda Euland was born October 24, 1891 and wrote this book in 1938. The only date I can find in this edition is "Copyright 2008 - BN Publishing".

If you want to buy this book, fine - just look for another edition, like the Graywolf Press maybe.
on 25 February 2010
I'm only 4 chapters in but already I'm amazed at how contemporary this book is, given that it was written over 60 years ago. I guess that when you get to the core reasons of why people write & what the process can positively do for your sense of wellbeing (soul), these never change. I also love the fact that this feisty American author who grabbed life by the throat, was also Knighted by the King of Norway & held records for over 80's female swimmers! Her writing classes must have been an inspiration. It's a cliche I know to say that there's a book in every one of us, but when she explains that the best & most interesting work comes when written from the centre of ones being, well we all have one of those, so anything is possible.
on 26 August 2011
Brilliant !! The author writes in her first chapter 'everybody who is human has something to express' How very apt that statement is. Initially I was looking for a book to give me a clue on how to write my family history or memoirs and infact where to start - when I noticed this book on line here. I purchased it because it had the added combined interests of mine Art, Independence and Spirit. Well - wow !! Right from the first page, I was held spell bound and could hardly put it down. Every statement from the very first page seemed so relevant to my needs and then as I continued reading - finding a greater understanding - that these words were relevant to everyone's needs. I was not the odd bod but just unique - like everyone of us. I was somebody special with something special to say and that that 'speciality' purely and simply would come across in the way in which I was made. I have not started my memoirs seriously yet -but I have learned something quite magical and loved myself a little more, realise that I do have an energy which must be used before much longer. I am accepting myself a great deal more and when next I either pick up a pen, or paintbrush I shall listen to my body and be thankful that I read the writings of Brenda Ueland. I hope she is still alive and sees this - because I am full of admiration. Thank you.
on 17 October 2011
This has been the most amazingly inspirational book I ever read. From the first page you just know that this book has a lot to offer to you both as a writer but also as a person.

I have to say that if I didn't research the book after reading it I wouldn't have known that it was written 70 years ago. And that says a lot about the actuality of it. I think it will never become outdated.

After reading it I just wish I could buy it in hardcover because I know I will keep reading it over and over every time I need a little inspiration.