Customer reviews

on 3 May 2004
This is an excellent book for anybody wanting to do more with Outlook - and so much more can be done. I started reading as a novice with a very rudimentary abilty to write code (picked up from the need to write Access Visual Basic). I finished by writing a critical application based on Outlook/Exchange to track business projects for my company. I have purchased other computing technical referrence books in the past only to find that the Microsoft Help screens contained as much or more than the referrence book I had just purchased. This book however is very different and definitely in a class of it's own.
on 16 September 2005
Outlook is a complex system to program in and can be a daunting task to a newcomer. Sue doesn't hide the size of the task but does break it down into managable pieces. With real examples and working through them she does give someone the building blocks needed to develop Outlook based applications.
With a web site that supports the book ([...]) that has all the code examples. I use the book as coursenotes on training courses and as a reference when i develop in Outlook. There is no jargon, and a very obvious desire to explain and teach.
on 30 January 2009
Firstly a bit of background to why I purchased this book in the first place. I was asked at work to help implement an interim change management process, using an Outlook Appointment form as a template. This required a unique ID, updating the subject 'on the fly' as the form was updated and a method to extract the data easily to either word or Excel as a report. After doing my homework I plumped for this book as it seems to tick all the boxes and has received favourable reviews.

The book starts brightly enough and I whizzed through the first few chapters with ease, mightily impressed with the writing style and the hidden powers of Outlook. However when it came to the author getting to the nitty gritty of explaining the grammer of VBA (Chapter 5 I believe VBA Grammer 101) I found her writing style and explanations a bit on the vague and confusing side.

Now I am sure that the more experienced vba programmer can easily get to grips with what Sue is explaining, but as a relative novice I found her explanations hard going and difficult to understand in places. Also some of the coding is wrong in places. The updates are on the web but if you werent to look you might be scratching you head for a while.

One more critiscm is the lack of good contents and Indexing. Having now grasped the basics of Outlook programming and implemented most of what is required I now just need snippets of information to make the form behave as designed. A good technical book should be both an educational book and a quick reference guide for when you just want to implement one small change. The book does sadly fail on the latter.

However this book has helped me immensely in implementing the above project in less than a week, and in the process earned me considerable brownie points. If your experienced in VBA/VBscript then buy it! If this is not the case, I would still say this is the best book out there for this subject, but the above issues make it one star short of perfect.