Customer reviews

on 12 July 2001
If there is one book that an aspirant hypnotherapy trainer should read, this is it. John and Julie are superb trainers, and the book is structured to produce unconscious learning of skills in the same way that their seminars on Ericksonian hypnosis do. It's also a good book for trainers in other fields who wish to understand how to reinforce learning on the unconscious level, and a great book for any hypnotherapist as it reveals the structure of various hypnotic techniques.
I re-read this book before every NLP and hypnosis course I run, and find something new and useful in there every time.
on 16 June 2008
I will keep this short, I have bought lots and lots of books on NLP and Hypnosis and if you were only going to buy one book on Hypnosis it should be this one. I am readying this book for the 7th time and it just gets better and better
on 31 August 2003
Although this book is described on the cover as being about Ericksonian hypnosis and the use of hypnosis in training, this isn't entirely true. The book does NOT demonstrate or explain how to use hypnosis in training 'in general'.
What the authors have created is an almost unique and very useful resource which teaches Ericksonian hypnosis by using hypnotic techniques within the text. This definitely works, in fact almost 'too' well - for a couple of months after reading this book I began to go into a trance no matter what book I was reading [more of a trance than usual :) ] !
Much of the book, a rich mixture of demonstration, explanation and exercises, is based on the authors' own training workshops and I personally found that this came across to very good effect.
I wouldn't suggest that any book could make you an expert in a subject like hypnosis, but this strikes me as an excellent basic text for anyone wanting to study Erickson's techniques.
Two other books which would make excellent companions to "Training Trances", IMO, are:
"Hypnosis: A Comprehensive Guide", by Flores, Schober and James (ISBN 1899836454), another practical guide which contrasts the Ericksonian approach with two other styles of hypnosis
"Monsters and Magical Sticks", by Heller and Steele (ISBN 1-56184-026-2), a deceptively simple study of what hypnosis is, possibly, really all about. Although it only mentions NLP in passing, fans of that topic may find a lot to interest them anyway.
on 10 January 2009
I would recommend this book as a good starting point for anyone wishing to learn hypnosis.

The book is fun to read, interesting and most importantly it has kept me interested enough to read this book through to the end. I intend to read this book again.

5 out of 5 from me.
on 17 February 2012
The language patterns demonstrated in this book appear simple but the challenge is, we read it in our own voice. You don't get the authors unique communication style. It's well worth a read and maybe listening to John Overdurf on iTunes could be helpful to the reader to get a feel for his approach.

[...]
... for anyone interested in hypnotherapy, training and the general operation of the conscious and unconscious minds. Very practical (it is in essence a transcript of a training session) with lots of suggestions(!) for trance-work. My copy is only a few months old and is already looking much the worse for wear - I'm on my third read through and have referred to it many other times.
on 3 August 2014
An excellent book for anyone interested in or practicing NLP or Hypnosis in general. The authors have a good approach to training and it is clear that they have done extensive research into Milton Erickson's hypnotic technique. The price put me off at first - I'm guessing by the cost of the new copies on here that it's out of print. So I opted for a second hand copy for about half the price and have to say that it was money well spent.
on 1 February 2010
This book was on a recomendation read list before attending a hypnotherapy course, having never done hpyno before I found the book interesting and informative. It was a little confusing in the final few chapters but that was only due to my lack of understanding of the hypno language but much of that knowledge fell in place after listening to a hypnotherapy session on a cd!
on 6 October 2011
As someone told me , it is like watching a workshop just extracted from Trance-formations of Bandler. and there is a lot to read and read again. i love the arm catalepsy;)
on 10 May 2011
having read the reviews and some of the book online i thought this book would fill the gaps but has done nothing to increase my knowledge, if your a starter and wanting to learn trance this is not for you, i have many books on this subject and many on nlp and i can tell you its hard work finding a book that is simple and what you want to read, giving you easy to do tasks and does not go off into a world of its own