Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 2 September 1999
At first glance, I got the impression that the book would be boring. But as I read on, I became interested in this young woman, who picked up a stranger on the highway. I came to some of the same conclusions that maybe he could be a murderer. I like the way Matlock kept this mysterious man's occupation a mystery until it was actually needed. I fell in love with him even before Rainey did. Matlock made this stranger appear as if he at first had a bad temper, but I like the way she showed how sweet and loving he appeared. At the end, when she went to look for him, the first thing that came to mind was that he had found someone else. I Love how he had every thing settled before he asked her to marry him. I love the book.
on 30 July 2010
Just read this book having ordered if after reading previous reviews; it is the first I have read by this author. I immediately liked the characters - essential to my enjoyment of a book - and just kept reading and reading until I reached the end. The storyline is gentle, heartwarming and yes, a little predictable but I'm okay with that. The hero and heroine overcome various obstacles in their path to a happy ending and they are both believable people. I have ordered two more of the 'Valentine' books by Curtiss Ann Matlock and am looking forward to finding out the story of Rainey's sister; a gentle hint is given towards the end of 'Lost Highways'. A very satisfying read.
on 4 September 1999
Curtiss Ann Matlock writes about real, down-to-earth people and makes them heroes and heroines. If you're looking for romantic suspense or bad guys with guns and a lot of external conflict and action, then this book isn't for you. If you're looking for something different, for a book about love and about falling in love, then try this book. If you like to read character-driven stories where the conflict evolves from the characters themselves, then you'll enjoy LOST HIGHWAYS, its gentle heroine, and its equally gentle hero, who has just enough of an edge to satisfy.
on 22 August 1999
I adored this book. One of the best I've read all year. What a set-up. The heroine's dearly mourned mother leaves her a horse trailer, a lifetime supply of Mary Kay cosmetics, and an old barrel racing mare. Her quest leads her to a most unexpected man! I just loved the warmth of this book. Don't miss it!
on 17 August 1999
Matlock's stories come alive for me. Full of warmth and courage, heartbreak and laughter, LOST HIGHWAYS tells the story of two ordinary people in a way that makes them truly unforgettable. I've read most of them and loved them all, but this is her best yet.
on 22 August 1999
LOST HIGHWAYS is the kind of book that makes you smile, nod your head, chuckle and then go find someone to share it with. It's full of warmth and wisdom, celebrating the human frailties and strangths we all share.