Format: Hardcover|Change

on 20 October 2016
This book is not really about ‘hygge’ as such. The author is Norwegian and the emphasis is more on a Nordic/outdoorsy angle than the Danish way of doing hygge (which the Meik Wiking book does perfectly well). It is good in a way since it doesn’t feel like just a repeat of what is getting published everywhere nowadays.

The book is well written and the author has definitely done a lot of research to back up her claims, it’s a clever read and doesn’t feel like another blog post style publication which alas, are increasingly common. What irritated me at times were numerous criticisms towards the UK way of doing things, it felt like: “well our houses are tastefully decorated, I can’t believe how disgusting Brits are with their love of carpets, it’s so unhygienic!" I’m not even British myself and I can see where she is coming from but I thought she could have exposed her views without criticising the country she happens to be living in.

A good third of the book was dedicated to food recipes while the other third was all about the importance of being active outside (which again is particularly Norwegian, especially skiing which kept coming up, I feel like Swedes or even Danes are slightly more keen on staying indoors). So the main advice that this book has to give is: “don’t get lazy, get outside (not in a gym) and walk around, you will feel better”. It’s not very hygge in itself but a sensible health advice.
on 21 October 2016
As with Signe's previous books, this is beautifully written and will be an invaluable addition to my bookshelves! There is good advice (some might say Nordic common sense) about activity and diet and some knockout recipes that I can't wait to try and know will succeed- recipes from her earlier books have become part of my repertoire and are much requested. But this book is more than that. It's a reminder of the really important things in life; health, happiness and family and friends - bringing those elements together HAS to be hygge. It's why we aspire to so many things Nordic or Scandinavian, and even without such long winters or ready access to mountains for most of us, we can achieve most of that here in the U.K. And I know for a fact that I shall feel better for more hygge in my life.
on 27 December 2016
Brilliant photos and very good recipes. My French husband wants to learn more about the way Scandinavians live and enjoy things like "fika" such a nice way to meet friends and drink coffee and eat cakes.
on 22 October 2016
I knew that this book would contain lots of tempting recipes - I already have Signe's two 'Scandilicious' books. I also expected lots of suggestions to cosy up with candles and cake. But this book is much more than that. As others have said, this is more of a celebration of the Scandinavian way of life than a book that focuses only on 'hygge'. But that gives it a great balance, and helps avoid becoming too 'faddish'. It covers outdoor activities, indoor design, cocktails, nature and celebrations as well. From houseplant suggestions, to key pieces from Scandi designers, there are lots of sections to return to again and again.
If you've gone all KonMari, this should come next. Lots of common sense and helpful ideas for bringing some Scandinavian style to lots of areas of your life.
on 7 November 2016
I looked at all of the hygge books on offer right now and this is by far the best one. I already love Signe Johansen's recipes - they are simply and fantastic - and you get lots of new ones in this book. But you also get interior design tips, what plants to buy, how to really embrace the outdoors, the benefits of 'healthy hedonism' all from a great storyteller. Hygge isn't about candles and fluffy socks and sitting by a fireplace and this seems to be one of the only books that points that out! Hygge is wonderful and this book really shows you how and why. The book is beautiful with amazing photography. Highly recommended!
on 10 December 2016
I've put together mini hygge hampers for friends ! Food this book and a hygge candle

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MAWCMDD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Mz1sybBAWCNV9 and now have a great pile of hygge gifts 🎁 for Christmas all ready :)))
on 17 January 2017
I found this book totally irritating. More than anything else it reflected Signe's way of life and took no account of difficulties people might face trying to live it. I am a wheelchair user, living in a city and unable to drive because of my disability so getting out into the country is almost an impossibility which makes at least 1/3 rd of the book irrelevant. I am insulin controlled diabetic and as many of the recipes are sugar/carbohydrate heavy most of them are also irrelevant and I have to be careful with drink both alcoholic and non-alcoholic because of the number of tablets I am on. Altthough the book is quite well-written I feel it is very self-indulgent and unduly critical of the country she has chosen to live in.
Another odd thing is that I have read three other books and several articles about hygge all of which tell me the word is pronounced differently to what Signe says and all except one say the concept is Danish not Norwegian. The exception tells me it is a Scandinavian concept. The book just comes over to me as someone trying to cash in on the latest "in-thing"
on 1 November 2016
Part memoir, part cookbook, part travel guide and part self-help book. This is a lovely read. Looking very much forward to testing out the recipes .
on 10 December 2016
I started to like it as I love the outdoors and their concept for living life but I was a bit baffled by the people she mentions as I am not aware of these designers! Gradually I am loosing interest, but I will keep going!
on 2 November 2016
This is a beautiful book and looks very nice on my coffee table! But I don't love the content as much as I thought I would. I found the food photography quite cold rather than cosy and super mouth-watering. I guess this is not my kind of hygge!!