Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 February 2014
The way it's written is excellent and really transports the reader back to the time it happened and it really gives the feeling of being there with him.

It made me laugh and cry. A totally enjoyable book.
on 23 August 2014
Definately more of a diary than an enticing book to read. I am not surprised that this Slave's narrative was forgotten for so long. If it wasn't for the movie I would not have given this book the time of day.
on 8 March 2014
A true story narrated by the main character. A sad reminder of how cruel mankind can be. I could not put this book down once I started reading it. The only boring bits are some long descriptions about, for example, the cotton picking process. I just skipped over these.
on 9 June 2014
I found the book interesting because it makes you aware of the extent of the slavery that went on and probably still does..but towards the end I was a little bored with all the paperwork for the fight for his release..it was a little monotonous..all I all good read though.
on 8 March 2014
This book tells of the terrible conditions slaves suffered in South America. It all lets people know of the terrible acts that people do to make money . Slave traders were as bad as some of the plantation owners. J brown
on 29 March 2014
The exploitation of human beings by others is as old as the story of humanity itself. The telling of this story is a graphic account of
one such example. Slavery continues today in other forms, equally tragic and sad. and will continue until humanity collectively actively
says no more of it.
on 3 April 2014
This book should be compulsory reading for all free citizens. It describes the inhumanity of slavery and bondage without exaggeration, and cannot therefore fail to move the reader. I have not yet seen the film, but it cannot possibly paint a more eloquent picture than this heartfelt narrative.
on 18 March 2014
One of the most boring books I have read. Could be a much more interesting book but know the subject matter is important so struggled on. It didn't help that it was written in the language of the time.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 March 2014
This is the first book that I've downloaded from amazon onto my kindle this book is definitely a 5 star and being based on actual fact made for compelling reading I don't read very often but I read this from cover to cover within a few days it was very sad with smiggings of funny pieces definitely a book to read chris
on 12 February 2014
This story is amazing and the film did not do the book justice, and the film was very emotional and gave a good portrayal of the horrendous treatment these people received way back then and even now the slave trade is continuing. Well worth reading, a real eye opener. Highly recommended.