on 8 June 2015
I'm a bit of a fan of adventure treks and mountain climb memoirs to put it very mildly, so this book appealed on many levels. The author decides, almost on the spur of the moment to climb Mount Kilamanjaro along with her teenage son plus a few friends and is happy to leave most of the trip pre-planning to them, but does prepare sensibly by buying a good pair of walking boots and wears them in prior to the climb. The feminine issue of using the toilet up a mountain and the contemplated purchase of various gadgets made me laugh out loud at times, but the problem was solved by the porter with a toilet tent who accompanied them on the trek. The book is very well written in a humerous and honest way with little snippets of historical information about the mountain, it's routes and famous climbers. The climb itself by the author, her son and the rest of the party is told in such a way that I felt as if I was there with them and kept me reading until the end. I hope to read more from this author.
on 17 November 2014
A good friend is climbing Kili in January and I ordered this out of interest to see what she will be up against and found myself totally gripped with this excellent book. For anyone planning such a trip I would say it is invaluable, but just as a terrific read for the armchair adventurer I would thoroughly recommend it as well.

I find it hard to believe that Eva was not born an English speaker as there is none of the stilted language and awkwardness that is often found where not written in the author's native language.

I both laughed out loud and had a tear in my eye at times and have to say if I got the chance I would follow in her footsteps without doubt despite the hardships.
on 19 January 2015
Better than some travel books Ive read lately,, Ive read alot and this one was abit off the beaten track so to speak . I found it amusing in parts, the author is somewhat obsessed with the toilet facilities but then again I think I would be as well in the same circumstances . I dont think I could use a hole in the ground or carry a toilet trowel with me !
on 22 March 2017
Fast delivery and the book it was amazing to read just right before my trip to Kilimanjaro! Fun book!
on 1 September 2017
Great humorous read with some good tips for tackling Kilimanjaro. Found the link to the kit list really useful.
on 20 August 2017
Good read and informative
on 19 February 2016
I'm hiking Kilimanjaro in the summer and I am reading as much about it as possible beforehand. I loved this book, it was written like a real person doing the trek not a all conquering hero like you get in some books. The real issues that are experienced on the mountain were interesting and informative and give a real feel of the experience, as if you were there with the author. It isn't written like a help guide, but I did highlight lots of bits of things that I need to remember to bring, or tasks to do before my trek. Even if you aren't doing Kilimanjaro yourself, it is still a good read as the author has written it with enough humour and candour to be readable by anyone.
on 1 July 2015
I enjoyed reading this Memoir - it made a change of 'type' for me and I found it 'encouraging' - How to climb a huge mountain Kilimanjaro no less ! Wow I take my hat off to the Author (& all the other folk who have done this & to the Guides) - …To do it with little preparation in a pair of hiking boots that you've not even worn-in yet - you get the picture - But, climb-it & summit the Author did… It's a good read - written in a no-nonsense way (which I like) - I did find myself gasping on occasions and laughing on others - I loved the way the Author undertook this 'challenge' with her Son Max. The Author is left with mixed emotions back at base when the decent is made which I believe is understandable after such an achievement... It's literally like being on a 'high' followed by a 'low'. I enjoyed 'meeting' Godlisten (Gody) the lead Guide who looked after the group & lifted their spirits when necessary with song ;o) Reading the points toward the end of this Memoir was interesting too - I really liked No.19 ! .... Good stuff and I shall look forward to reading more by this Author.
on 14 November 2015
I enjoyed the book, though have to say that as someone who climbed Kili a few weeks after reading it, I didn't recognise some of the negative opinions about the mountain. I had awful visions after reading this book that the mountain was strewn with human poop. It's really not!! Yes, there are some dirty folk out there who think it's ok to squat and leave their mess behind. Why would you not just take it with you?! But..those sights were few and far between. The advice to take crocs was spot on - I was the envy of my camp! If you're planning to do Kili you also need a nail brush and a Sigg bottle. Enjoy!
on 25 November 2014
What a joy to read! But only if you like an adventure story, don't mind crying a little, and your credit card can take the hit when you feel the sudden urge to book the next flight to Africa . It's well written, inspiring, and she sneaks in a few history lessons along the way. Beware, it's not just about hiking. You might just find yourself questioning what it is you want to accomplish.

You might also find yourself completely enamored with a man called Godlisten (the name alone, right?).

Look, the dude tells stories as you lie in your tent and sings at night and while you hike. Who could resist that?