Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 June 2014
I wasn't sure how interesting this would be, but once I had started reading I couldn't wait to pick up my kindle again when I had time to sit and read. A fascinating book, with enough information about other members of the family to whet my appetite to find out more. Some amazing stories and insights about Queen Victoria. I would highly recommend this book.
on 9 June 2014
Very good read. I found lots of stuff I didn't know or hadn't realised. The book was very well written and not at all heavy going. The character analysis was excellent. You felt as if you really got to know and understand them.
on 9 May 2016
This is an insightful biography of Princess Alice. The mother of the last Empress of Russia was a complicated woman who never really recovered from the death of Prince Albert (her father), and died young herself. Although describing Alice as 'The Enigma', it seems to this reader that Christina Croft has captured at Alice's character perfectly, from 'vain' youngster (Queen's Victoria's words) to philanthropic and empathetic adult. Unhappy in her marriage, Alice threw herself into the for-the-era taboo disciplines of nursing, women's rights, protection of orphans and prostitutes, and decent housing for the poor. Yet she still enjoyed parties and social gatherings. A very human Alice emerges from these pages. Thank you Ms Crofts - I'll definitely be looking out for your other books in future.
on 4 February 2014
A really informative book. Certainly altered my views of the Victorian Royal family. Alice must have been an incredible person,years ahead in her thinking of the times.
Should be included in school history
on 17 July 2014
This book is an ok read, it follows Alice's short life well enough documenting her charity work and family life. I felt that her rocky relationship with Louis should have been explored more as well as her relationship with her brothers and sister other than Vicky and Bertie. It was well written and there was no mistakes however there isn't any pictures or photographs included. I enjoyed the book on a whole and got through it with an easy flow
on 23 February 2014
I have read a number of books on the family of Queen Victoria but this was a real gem. I really felt I understood Alice and entered into her world. The book is areal gem and I didn't want it to end.
on 28 April 2014
The author's interest in the subject is clear and she offered some interesting views on aspects of Alice's life, although some of these were rather fanciful and unsupported by convincing evidence (for example that Prince Albert's death was caused by an inability to absorb food, leading to renal failure, rather than by typhoid). The author writes well and the text is mostly engaging. For me, however, it was marred by proof reading errors (I counted more than half a dozen) and overreliance on a limited number of sources (Roger Fulford's edited letters between Queen Victoria and her eldest daughter, for example, constituted around 10% of the references). Therefore, I think it does not contribute as much as it might have done towards a deeper understanding of Alice, the enigma.
on 6 February 2014
I really enjoyed this interesting book. Lots of books have been written on Queen Victoria's eldest daughter, but less on other members of the family, which is a shame.

Princess Alice was a very caring, hard-working young woman, who did much good in her local community, often putting her own safety at risk. If she had spent her adult life in England , rather than Germany, we probably would have heard more about her.
on 14 April 2014
I knew little about this princess so this book was an eye opener, not only for Alice but for the portrayal of her mother Victoria. I like that queen less and less, the more I read about her!!! a bit complicated keeping all the characters in place, and there are a lot of relations mentioned but I found it all fascinating and if you like history this is a great one to read.
on 15 March 2014
Until I read this book, I really didn't know much about Alice, so I found this very interesting and informative, and she was most definitely her father's daughter