on 23 November 2013
I have been a fan of this author's work since his Michael Jackson book and have eagerly been awaiting a new book. This did not disappoint. However, before I purchased, I did have my reservations as I didn't see how superstitions had anything to do with emotional behaviour but as I have now reached the end, I am incredibly surprised at how superstitious beliefs have infiltrated every aspect of life, especially in sport stars. My husband is very superstitious and this guide helped me to understand where the origins of walking under a ladder, new shoes on the table and saluting a magpie come from (I was very surprised at the origins!).

The body language section is well thought out and is full of practical information that you can actually use (a lot of other body language book are filled with confusing 'jargon'). Craig references much of the leading scientific research in the field (Morris, Eckman, Navarro) to back up his assertions. I have read many books on psychology, counselling, transactional analysis and body language; however his style of writing makes it very easy to learn and apply the information he delivers which is helps no end. He also adds two very funny stories about his experiences of skydiving and doing a hot air balloon ride, both of which made me laugh out loud. This was a very interesting and unique Kindle book and unlike anything I have read before.
on 5 January 2014
Another hit for Craig Baxter and his Body Language books. His new book on human behaviour which includes superstitions and body language once again kept me intrigued and wanting more. Craig gives us an in-depth look at some interesting superstitions including the Ouija Board, sport star superstitions as well as stones/gems like opals (my birthstone) diamonds and how people look upon them as bad luck in some instances. Craig also looks at emotions, from happiness, humility, anger and the different ways they come out and why. He continues with how body language and emotions, etc can affect how we move, and our facial expressions. Craig teaches us once again how to read facial and body expressions based on situations. Craig continues to write incredible books and I hope he continues to do so in the future.

This book is full of too much wonderful and interesting information for me to write about without giving away the entire book, I can say that I have learned so much from his books and hope that everyone will purchase them and find out how we really communicate more with our facial expressions, bodies, etc rather than verbally. His books are extremely important right now because with social media and the internet on a steep climb, verbal and body communication is declining, we cannot communicate verbally or emotionally with each other online therefore books like his make us appreciate a "conversation" and perhaps think twice about what the other person is really saying.

Great job Craig and I can't wait to read your next book.
on 20 January 2014
Human Behaviour: A Fascinating Look at Emotions, Superstitions and Body Language, is a very long title for a very interesting book. Strangely and humbly the book starts with an apology, about the authors previous predictions about body language. And how, the author sees the future, personally I feel there is no need to apologies as Baxter is clearly an erudite reader about body language and very enthusiastic. Baxter's enthusiasm for body language flows through the book. I feel he is always researching, be it with friends, his partner Kat, his cat , talking to tramps and shopkeepers, watching reality TV and sports, Baxter never switches off. He even analysis himself. This self analysis reaches into his work from jumping out of planes to messing with Ouija boards. Baxter is an honest author who intertwines knowledge with humour in a similar fashion to Malcolm Gladwell. The mix of Emotions, Superstitions and Body Language is a great cocktail and a worthy read.
on 8 December 2013
I must admit at first, I was a little sceptical about these three topics being covered in one book, but having reached the end, it all makes sense. I particularly enjoyed learning about the link between emotions and superstitions and I was surprised to find out about the origin of certain superstitions that I subscribe to. Baxter also offers an insight into how superstitions have had an influence in the world of sport, restaurant dining and air travel. I learnt a lot about the nature and variety of human emotions and how to recognise them in others. The body language chapter was succinct and it managed to cover the basics in an easy to digest way for those who are dipping their toe into the study of this fascinating area, and the appendix which contains some key body language terms helped to further my knowledge.
I also appreciated Baxter's clever use of humour when describing some adrenaline fuelled adventures he has been on in order for us to appreciate how certain emotions can be successfully overcome. Would highly recommend this book because it is an interesting and well-researched read.
on 2 February 2014
This book is written in an easy to read personal style, unlike many factual works that can be dry and heavy going. It has many personal examples to illustrate the theory and the author also quotes many other scientific papers and accepted experts in the field so one can follow up by referring to these. I also found it a rather uncomfortable read as Craig Baxter challenges many of the myths about body language and liar-spotting that I have always believed! I think the link between superstitions and emotion and body language is very interesting and not one I have made myself or read about anywhere else. I think I need to do some more reading on the subject now!
on 13 June 2014
I feel mean for slating it as it was free, but I don't want people wasting their time reading it. You would probably find out more if you just google the bits you're interested in as this lacked any depth, gave no explanations and spent way too long referring to some other book by the same author. I also had to report a multitude of spelling mistakes and errors in the text (yay Kindle for making it easy to do!)

Luckily I didn't pay for, it is short and didn't take long to finish or I'd give it one star!
on 26 January 2014
I found this book very fascinating. Although I personally don't believe in superstitions, it was interesting to see the history behind various superstitions and how they can sometimes differ from place to place. Reading real life examples of emotions that Craig has experienced (i.e. fear, despair at Kat's shoe buying) did entertain me as I was imagining them happening :)
I would recommend this book. It keeps you thinking of your own examples throughout and provides great sections of research which has been undertaken.
I look forward to seeing where Craig goes from here..
on 10 April 2014
Great book! If you ever needed an inside view to how our body can tell what we are thinking then this is the book!
This book showed me a different out look to life! It also helped me to review and help to develop my skills as a manager!
It is a must read book! sure made me look at all I do and view the human culture at a interesting way!
on 16 December 2014
A superficial look into body language interposed with a litany of references to his prior works. I did find the chapter on superstitions interesting hence three stars. If you're looking for a detailed look into body language try elsewhere.
on 18 May 2015
Its ok, very basic set of principles. Does not explain concepts in detail. Would probably save money and purchase a better book.