Customer reviews

4,012
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 November 2016
This is a very interesting read, you should read this id you can
on 31 May 2017
Extraordinary life story. Often painful, emotional and raw, this should be mandatory reading in every history and English class the world over. Not just for the horror inflicted upon the African American people, but as a warning to humanity of what happens when one man regards another as less human than himself.
on 8 March 2014
Decided to read the book first before seeing the film, I suppose saying I enjoyed the book would be wrong as nobody should enjoy reading about the way one human thinks they have the right to own another human being just because of their colour, thank god slavery was abolished. But reading this book certainly gives you an insight to life horrendous as it was to be a slave.
on 13 February 2014
Wanted to read the book before seeing the film.
My mother was impressed by the book "Uncle Tom's Cabin" as a child.
She is 90 now.
As a result, we as children were very much aware of slavery.
When "Roots" was first broadcast, my mother and I were rivetted.
History teaches us many things, and we can learn from our ancestors' times.
on 28 March 2014
Apart from the sadness of this account, I was most impressed with the standard of English used to record all the events, from capture through the dreadful time under various 'masters' to his final freedom once more. An enthralling and compelling read making one appreciate the meaning of "Freedom".
Read it everyone and be amazed. John Crabbe
on 15 May 2014
this is a little hard to follow inasmuch the wording is yet older style. it was heart wrenching in places, a disgrace that slavery was allowed by the country, what he went through, twelve years of hell but freedom is wonderfully, given at the end. to think that justice didn't prevail at the end was disgracefull
on 22 April 2014
I haven't watched the film yet. I wanted to read the book first. When you consider how long ago this was written by the slave himself it is a easy read. There is no old language that makes it lose the story line. It is an amazing story of hope and steady determination. It gives you a clear, unbiased and fair view of life as a slave.
on 9 May 2014
I found this story spellbinding but frightening because while slavery has in theory been abolished it still exists in the world today. No longer is it open and accepted but hidden and therefore worse. The suffering described in this harrowing
tale continues today and is an indication of the state of the modern world
on 7 February 2014
Downloaded this book for free on my Kindle. Started reading it and got half-way through as I wanted to see the movie at the cinema, but didn't want to diminish the quality of story-telling you can sometimes get from movies. Very rivetting story of a harrowing experience. Read the rest of the book after watching the movie, and many blamks were filled in.
on 24 February 2014
What can I say? It was as bleak as you can imagine it to be. It was as sad as you imagine the bleakest sadness and made me cry tears of anger, frustration and happiness. Simply told, passionately, it's Solomon's unbelievable tale that we should ALL read. He lived it and survived it, when so many other poor souls did not. Thank you Mr Northup, thank you.