Customer reviews

1,037
Format: Paperback|Change

This Wisehouse Classics edition is illustrated and they show up perfectly okay and large enough on a kindle e-reader, but if you look at this on a tablet device you can enlarge the illustrations if you so desire. I should point out that these illustrations are in black and white, the first edition of this tale did have colour pictures but these were hand painted and so most editions such as this only go for the black and white versions. Never having been out of print since it was first published this novella has remained a favourite amongst us all both young and old, and I know I am not the only person who has read it many times.

In many ways Dickens helped to ‘invent’ Christmas as we know it today, this tale being a part of that. With Scrooge first being approached by the ghost of his deceased former business partner he is warned that he will be visited by three spirits. Written in an easy to read style we see how Ebenezer Scrooge changes his ways and by looking at his past we can start to see why he is like he is. But as the Christmas spirits of the past, present and future show Scrooge things he knows that a change must be made. From greed and selfishness, with lost opportunities and lost love, this tale shows us how redemption can be gained as Scrooge himself starts to transform.

A hit on first publication and also acclaimed by critics Dickens here plays with our emotions giving us a feel good sensation as we are told to be more generous and kindlier hearted, something that always seems to happen more over the Christmas period. Always an enjoyable read this is something that the whole family should love.
on 24 December 2012
I think A Christmas Carol is a book best enjoyed when being read aloud. The writing is beautiful, as of course is the language. The opening sentence is still one of my favourites and spending the first three paragraphs being assured that Marley absolutely is dead was much more entertaining then it probably should have been.

I loved the way Dickens addresses the reader throughout, which is another reason I think this is so suited for reading to or having someone read it to you. My copy came with extra little notes to explain some of the less known sayings which were helpful.

A Christmas Carol is so well known that you aren't really in for any surprises. That said I did think that you gain a much better understanding of Scrooge from the book.

For this time of year I can't think of another book as suited.
on 9 October 2016
I ordered this book for my younger brothers book report and he was happy with the quality of the product.
The product arrived before the estimated delivery date and was packaged very well.
I found it looks exactly like the picture. Overall I am pleased with this product.
on 9 December 2015
This is the timeless tale of Scrooge, a miserable miser who loathes Christmas until he's visited by three spirits. Everyone has probably watched a film version of 'A Christmas Carol' but I implore you to read this classic with charming illustrations. It's a rather quick and pleasurable read, just the thing to get you into the Christmas spirit!
on 26 December 2013
I think that the review by F E Hamilton was attached to the wrong annotated Christmas Carol. This has annotations throughout; the original illustrations plus many others; and a suitable cover (,as is clear from the picture on Amazon).

This is a well produced high quality edition with helpful annotations.

Beware that the Kindle and paperback 'Christmas Carol's linked with this book and not versions of the hardback described here. This may have led to the confusion referred to above.
on 29 December 2016
I groaned when my book group picked this classic, but was delighted once I begrudgingly started it! The foggy scenes so like the Suffolk I live in, sadly so like my attitude to Christmas. By the last few pages I couldn't put it down wanting to find out how Dickens ended the story and it didn't disappoint. I recommend everyone give it a go, preferably early in December. Can't wait for next Christmas now!
on 26 December 2016
Love this book, enjoy the films....most especially the Alister Simms version as it evokes the time due to being quite dated in itself. It means Christmas to me.
on 27 January 2017
Never having read anything before quite like this, I was encouraged to give it a go. I'd say it took a little longer to read than a 'normal' modern day book but that's because some of the language used was different to now and I wanted to really understand the story.

I can see why this story has been told over and over and survives as a Classic. It's actually slightly different to the film adaptations I've seen! Great story, stands the test of time, and a true classic.
on 8 March 2017
Lovely book that has been adapted so many times on stage and screen. This was a replacement for a battered and dog eared copy I've had since childhood that finally fell apart and was beyond repair. Clearly printed and easy to read.
on 24 December 2008
I can't believe I haven't read this until now! Such a short and accessible book, but one that frightened me, made me laugh and cry, and positively dripped with Christmas spirit and goodwill.

It was atmospheric yet amusing, telling the familiar story of Ebenezer Scrooge and his physical and emotional journeys alongside the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Yet-To-Come. The terrible truths and moral messages uncovered on these journeys save Scrooge from a miserly existence doomed to end in loneliness and eternal despair, transforming it into one of happiness and generosity which will save more lives than his own.

I can see why so many people have a tradition of reading it every December - maybe it'll become a tradition of my own now!