on 16 May 2014
I rate this book 5 star because it is clear and easy to follow.

Most books written by people who know fall into the trap of only being easy to follow by those who already know. This applies to most technical books and the Amazon pdf on how to format your book for Create Space. Rick's book understands this and tells you in Plain English everything you have to do to write, publish and sell your book.

Having read the Kindle version of the book I immediately bought a paper version to live on my desk.

In my first week of publication this book has already helped me to get 270 downloads of my Kindle book and to sell 12 paperbacks.
on 1 March 2017
Before finding this book, I spent hundreds of pounds (in dollars) by joining an Author Membership site, hoping it would give me precisely the information that Rick Smith offers here for next to nothing. I only wish I had found him a week earlier!
His writing is straightforward, friendly and in a chatty style. Starting from scratch, he leaves no stone unturned in his explanations. Mind you, after 70-odd pages elucidating the pros and cons of various software and various approaches to book-writing; I was desperate for him to get down to the nitty-gritty. But it’s worth ploughing on, as he doesn’t get round to it until Chapter 6.
However, once the preliminaries are over, he comes up trumps with his everything-you-need-to-know instructions on preparing and getting your book set up in CreateSpace and Kindle formats.Thiis has helped me to familiarise myself with the process. And he follows through with a great deal of generalised advice on covers (such as adding artwork in ‘layers,’ but unfortunately without any precise details of how to do it); plus marketing, pricing, reviews (but not how to get them), tax, tracking, and loads of other useful stuff, for which I am most grateful.
Although other more experienced Kindle and CreateSpace authors find the book is lacking in some areas, as a know-nothing ‘newbie’ I have no idea what he has left out, but what is there has definitely made me comprehend the process much better.
However, even I have a few niggles, such as his numerous typos and grammatical errors (that he so emphatically warns us against); which is why I had to laugh when I came across the sentence: “I’m so arrogant and confident that I reckon I’m the best grammaticist I know.”
In a few instances he omits to explain some new ‘seemingly self-evident’ function. For example, “Because you're using right-justification, you should set up Automatic Hyphenation”, which may confuse beginners like me (and did for a while) by not having it clearly explained. He also mistakenly advises “Some Product Descriptions will contain advanced formatting, such as orange coloured headers,” which delighted me for a moment, until I asked for it. But the Amazon staff told me they do not offer this function. It is only possible if you know how to use the geeky html coding.
So I have to knock off one star for the omissions and lack of proper proof-reading.
However, on the bonus side, he generously offers several free “How to” videos (in return for your email, of course) which I found really helpful.
So in all, I am happy to have the book, and if you are completely new to self-publishing, you won’t regret buying it either.
on 13 April 2017
I have just published my first book on Amazon Createspace. I used this book as a guide and found it very helpful. It is well thought out, written in a clear, no nonsense style and is full of helpful tips for self publishing and marketing. Reading the book BEFORE I began the process of self publishing saved me a lot of time and money. I very much recommend this book. Five star purchase!
on 14 September 2014
This book is absolutely crammed with useful information for those who want to self-publish on Amazon. I have bought a lot of books on this subject of late and this is the one I like best. It assumes no prior knowledge and guides you through the process of publishing your first book in admirable detail. The prose is clear and concise and the book is very well organised. A nice feature is that it covers fiction as well as non fiction, something many books in this field neglect. It's also technophobe-friendly. I highly recommend it to all budding authors.
on 18 March 2017
I have been playing around with a manuscript about my life as a teenager, many moons ago, getting nowhere fast. This book has been an inspiration for me to now get on with it and to see it published on Amazon. Many thanks, Rick.
on 9 January 2016
I bought this book as I needed additional help to do with Create space publications. I am glad I did buy it as it will prove invaluable to me as I progress through the process of publishing and promoting the book. As I am continue to read the book upon a daily basis.
on 1 November 2015
This book http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GK5NKGU?ref_=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0 is an absolute must for the Indie Author. I too my time over the details and followed the steps and I must admit it was so helpful - you wont be dissappointed
on 28 May 2017
STILL GETTING TO GRIPS WITH THIS. LOOKS AS IF MOST OF MY PROBLEMS WILL ADDRESSED
on 14 March 2017
This was a really informative guide. I think I knew most of it already but I did pick up a few snippets and it was useful having so much in one place.
on 26 April 2017
See earlier comments about Rick Smith books - very good!