on 28 August 2016
As another reviewer has written, I also feel as someone struggling with PTSD that this is a 'masterpiece' on the subject. I have felt patronised by a lot of books on PTSD written by therapists who do not seem to understand the depth and many ramifications of PTSD but are looking at it from an intellectual viewpoint. CBT is helpful but not the answer! It does not come close to addressing the underlying issues especially those lingering in the body. Pete Walker is a therapist who has/ is suffering from PTSD himself and is therefore acutely aware of all the subtle manifestations of PTSD through his own personal experience and, amongst many things, he helps you to recognise the many obvious and subtle symptoms of flashbacks and shows how to begin the healing process to help work you through them. Above all, I find it is his compassion and empathy that comes through this book as you feel you are walking a road and holding the hand of a guide and friend who has been walking the path ahead of you and intimately understands the processes you are going through.
on 19 October 2016
This is a really helpful and useful book which has opened my mind to discover the roots of past complex trauma. It offers help without being prescriptive and the author has no hesitation in offering alternative books by other authors with more in-depth study on particular topics. The layout makes it easy to hop around as your mood may change as you come across particular topics. The subject matter is difficult to come to terms with if you have suffered CPTSD in the past, but Walker makes it comprehensible with a personal view and encourages one with examples from his own personal difficult history. While the theme offers help to survivors, it is also very useful and positive for practicing psychotherapists and counselors who may not have caught up on this model explaining complex past trauma. I highly recommend this book!
on 5 January 2017
Excellent book. Childhood abuse and recovery is explained in a simple way. I bought the book to read so that I can understand my husband who had an dreadfully abusive childhood. Counselling seemed to trigger his anger and sadly that has led to us separating.

I wish I had known and understood previously how just childhood abuse impacts adult relationships. I can't comment on its effectiveness but it highlighted to me the cause of his behaviours,

I feel the title could be more helpful - you are not naturally drawn to this book unless you understand that childhood abuse causes CPTSD.
on 7 May 2016
Excellent, very helpful and understanding.
The guide to what to do in a flashback to childhood is on page 146.
I couldn't have used this as my first book. The issues it raises would have evoked way too much fear for me to be able to handle.
I'd had many years of support and help from Claire Weekes and acupressure before I found this.
on 30 December 2016
Worth a read if you feel in any way that you may have some sort of unhealed trauma. Very helpful book but the author can sometimes come across as a bit bitter. You can change the people he is talking about eg: parents and switch them with a sibling or anyone else so you can still relate. It was still worth reading and still helpful even if I did have to take a step back and change how I was reading it or viewing it.
on 1 May 2017
Excellent book. I got it after learning about self-compassion, CBT and childhood emotional neglect. I did a course of CBT counselling, and reading this book (and others in the same vein) helps me maintain the positive mindset of being good enough, and not sliding into a 'flashback' as often as before. The author is a professional therapist writing from a personal perspective, and contains personal realisations and nice case-studies. I bought one of his other books: The Tao of Fully Feeling, on the strength of my satisfaction with this title.
on 22 January 2016
This book is amazing. Pete Walker explains in detail about complex PTSD, its effects on children and resultant behaviour as adults. The book is an easy read but with the amount of information enclosed, one does need time to absorb it all. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has "issues" as they may well find the answer within its pages.
on 16 August 2016
This book is lifechanging. You must read it if you have suffered any kind of trauma from parents which has affected your character and your life. I have read other self-help and psychology books, but this is the lifechanging one for me. I am only a third of the way through and it has helped me already. Compassionately and well written, based on personal and professional experience, backed by scientific data, with warm humour too. As soon as I finish I will start reading it again.
on 31 January 2017
This is the bible of childhood trauma! I have read other books on the subject but this gets straight to the point and gives effective ways to deal with them. Pete Walker himself has dealt with CPTSD so it's like a guidebook/map from someone who has gone from surviving to thriving, he is a living example that you can heal. Also no rubbish talk about research and scientific stuff. There is still a huge ignorance around childhood trauma/abuse as many "professionals" don't realise how much childhood impacts adult lives. Buy this bible immediately.
on 5 July 2015
All I needed to understand myself ... It took a long time to find it but now that I have for the first time ever I have found a level if peace in my heart. I recommend to anyone not quite finding the answers with the standard books on PTSD you might just need Petes book.