Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 June 2017
I love this series of books, they so successfully take me back to Greece, my favourite holiday destination. Characters and places are richly and sumptuously described with the inter-relationships ingeniously tied together. But this is my first disappointment. I appreciate that the books are written from a feminine perspective and I'm fine with that, I don't want to read crime and action all the time, these are me guilty escape from those books. I haven't read any Mills & Boon but this is what I expect them to be like. Too soppy and fairly unbelievable. Too romantically perfect. I'm hoping the next is better and back to the usual format (mainly because I'd already bought it before reading this one!!). The next book could be a deal-breaker for the rest of the series for me, I do hope it goes back to the style of the previous books.
I await each new book in this series with a joy of expectancy and know that it will be read immediately, putting all other books to one side as I dive in to find out which person in the village I will now be introduced to in more detail.

In this book we follow Michelle, Juliette’s friend, who has come to Greece to negotiate the settlement of a claim. She feels that her position as a solicitor with her firm in London may be in jeopardy as there is talk about redundancies. On arriving in Greece, she finds that she has a weekend to explore and so goes off to visit the island Orino (as boats going to all the other islands have been cancelled because of a strike).

On the boat with her is a young man, Dino, who reminds her they met at the ouzeri when she, Juliette and Juliette’s two sons had supper. Dino and his father had joined their table to toast English universities. Dino has thrown in his job (having completed university in England) and is on his way to visit his friends on the island before going home to face his father with the news that he does not want to live in England.

If ever there was a relationship that should not work, this is it. Michelle is old enough to be Dino’s mother, but they connect. Dino takes her round the island and through him, she realises that life is not just about making enough money to keep an old house repaired. That she should be looking to her own life and what she wants to do and how she wants something more in life than the daily grind of just earning a living.

As ever, a beautiful story with believable characters, set in an idyllic village which Sara Alexi with her words,brings to life for you to see and feel the heat of the day, hear the braying of the donkeys and see the village life as it goes on around you.
on 30 March 2014
I really enjoyed this book so much and reading about Michelle and Dino's slowly developing love story.

The Story is about Michelle , Juliet's childhood friend who is in Greece to work on a legal claims case but has a weekend free and decides to take a trip to a neighbouring island. She gets there despite a Greek strike :) . Does that sound familiar? The island she arrives at features quite prominently in Book 2 of the Greek Village Series - 'Black Butterflies' and many of the characters there make a very pleasant reappearance in this book including Yanni and Costas etc.

While on the island she meets the young Dino, from Saros, the island that features quite prominently in most of the books of this Greek Village series. He remembers seeing her in Saros town on an earlier vacation and strikes up a friendship with her. Once on the island a hair raising accident leads to Michelle and Dino getting closer, developing quite a close bond and spending all their time together.

The romance between Michelle and Dino develops despite their marked age and cultural differences. In this story, Michelle has some major decisions to make as to whether she is willing to leave her comfort zone of a stressful job she doesn't enjoy, friends who are few and far, a crumbing house she can ill afford to maintain and keep and move to Greece for the sake of love and what appears to be a more rewarding quality of life. Dino also has issues to resolve concerning guilt surrounding his mother's death, his father's high expectations and bullying and the truth surrounding his parentage. When Dino and Michelle arrive back in Saros and to Juliet's house everything comes to a head. Some major life decisions are made by both Dino and Michelle. It will be interesting to see in future books how their love and relationship develops and whether it is lasting or not.

There are other issues that are also dealt with in this book including whether the rat race in our cities is really worth it, homelessness on the streets of London versus the beauty and warmth of a greek village and its people. It also deals with living for the moment, being happy and not worrying too much about the future as no one really knows what is around the corner. A theme that runs throughout the series to varying degrees.

As for the way the book ends all I can say is I am left speechless. Its a cliffhanger ending in its own way. The reader is left wondering who will be running the guesthouse in Saros town and I am not sure I can wait for the next book to find out :) Its a mystery which I am dying to have resolved. I can't help but think it's linked to Juliet in some way although this is pure speculation. I want to know when the next book is coming out and hope it is very soon.

This now brings me completely up to date with all of Sara's books in the series and I have to say it has been such a long time since I last visited Greece and its islands that reading the series has brought a real longing to visit again and very soon. I think Sara must be doing more for Greek tourism then any guide book or holiday website through her detailed descriptions of the places, the warmth of the people, the easy going pace of life and superb climate!
on 22 April 2017
Beautiful love story set in a glorious Greek island. Sara Alexi has a way with words making the reader feel the warmth of the sun, see the heavens full of stars. I love her eloquent scenes of female friendship, and her beautiful depiction of the growing attachment that is falling in love. This book will make you think about whether you are wasting your own life, and if you are really happy, because Sara Alexi's greatest gift is to write convincingly about her characters' self examination.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 June 2014
I have read all the Greek series,and loved them all,they made me feel like I was in Greece,she told you about the place and people,was sad in the last book with the donkey that died,and the end,I hope he came back from amy and they got married,these book is a most read,I couldn't put them down,I never been to Greece but they made me want to go,well worth a read.
on 25 August 2014
Sad to say that this seems to be bits of all her other books cobbled together. I felt as though id already read it. I have loved all of her previous books
on 5 May 2017
Love the series, great holiday read.
on 10 July 2015
Fantastic series of books, they capture Greece beautifully, once started reading you can't put down
on 7 December 2013
Have loved all in the series, shared on Kindle with my daughters...the fight was who got to read it first.
on 23 September 2013
The fifth book in the Greek series does not disappoint. Absolutely loved it and am already desperate for the next installment. I stumbled upon the first book "The Illegal Gardener" by chance and have been mesmerised by Sara's writing and gift for storytelling since.

Her books make be feel like I am in Greece and are all so well written, they just leave you wanting more.

The Art of Becoming Homeless is a lovely story and I devoured it in no time at all. If you are wondering whether to buy it, stop wondering and get involved now. I am an avid reader but have never contacted an author before but after reading these books I felt compelled to thank Sara for the joy they have given me.

Now hurry up and write the next one! :-)