Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 28 January 2015
Beautiful book, absolutely no complaints!
on 15 May 2016
My son is happy with this classic tale.
on 29 July 2010
Oscar Wilde's use of the English language is unrivalled. Although I initially stared reading and put the book away for a while, on my return I was thoroughly engaged. For the first couple of chapters I found the writing style a little difficult and hard to engage but once past that, the book is excellent. I particularly adore his decadent and rather sensuous discussions between the characters, downright delightful and humerous. The story itself is wonderful, although a little slow to develop. Certainly left me hungering to continue reading more of Wilde's works.
on 30 July 2014
Oh Oscar, to read of a creature such as Dorian Gray is a crime. Forcing us to love someone and loath them in equal amount, at the same time and yet still to desire, nay, demand more feels like that of life itself.

Beautifully written with a language unparalleled. Most modern writers would do well to study his works. I am in love, not just with the REAL MR GRAY, (not the other un-cultured one) and mister Wilde himself.

I feel I'm close to tears now that the book has ended
on 5 July 2011
I got this for my Kindle as the exercise in wider reading in my (just finished) Access to higher education course and was very happily surprised by my own reaction to it.
For those of you who have never read this book I recommend you give it a chance because it is a most engaging story. It isn't about some flawed or tragic hero, although the eponymous Mr Gray is quite definitely flawed, and as the story progresses you get drawn further into Wilde's 19th century world.
A must read that I nearly never read!!
on 8 October 2009
Oscar Wilde is exceptional. Reading his work is almost like watching a show at the theatre. The characters come to life!! Old London comes to life. His descriptions of an atmosphere are splendid and real. While reading this book I just had an overwhelming urge to imitate the real posh English accent. The Picture of Dorian Gray is simply a classic. I recommend this for anyone whom loves classic writing with a twist of controversy, something which Mr Wilde was surrounded by his entire life.
on 27 May 2013
I read this book with an open mind. Unfortunately I didn't really enjoy it. The writing is rather high handed in places and there were parts of it that just passed me by as I couldn't work out what was happening. It was OK but I wont be re reading it like I do with my other 'classic' novels.
on 26 October 2009
I have read this book twice now and will probably end up reading it again. An interesting tale of morality and vanity. Although written over a century ago, this book is as applicable now in the modern material world of the 21st century, as it was back then. The way Lord Henry influences Dorian is fascinating, as is the way Dorian beguiles amd intrigues all those who meet him.

The ending is truly poetic....but I wont spoil the surprise for you.

Read it!
on 22 August 2011
A book I've been wanting to read for many years and finally (due to my "non-read books" pile dwindling) I managed it. I literally couldn't put this book down and was wandering around squeezing in every possible minute to continue the tale. If you're not normally a classics reader, then I urge you to try this - you'll enjoy the story, characters and wit. It'll also leave you closing the final pages with a little frown on your brow and question on your lips!!
on 4 July 2010
In view of all the hype surrounding the film I decided to read the book. It's not very long, under 200 pages and it is very readable but there are parts that are very reflective, typical of the period, that need some determination to get through. The text does not really draw the reader on in the same way we would expect a modern novel to do but parts were very absorbing.

It made a fascinating read and was well worth it. Next I must see the film.