Customer reviews

Hiding the Past: Volume 1 (The Forensic Genealogist)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 November 2015
I haven't read such a load of tosh in a long while.

There is no depth to the characters, and the story is jumbled and poorly written. I was lured by the good reviews which I find incredible to say the least.
on 29 October 2015
Ahh, my favourite genre and both my hobbies all rolled into one book - no wonder I whistled through it so quickly. The book is fast-paced, the story-line a tad far-fetched and the action scenes more in line with a spy thriller than a family history novel. But that's the point. Genealogy can be mind-numbingly dull - all those hours spent hunched over micro-fiches or trying to fit the 43rd John Smith into a tree. An attractive, action-man style forensic genealogist is a brilliant concept.

It is tempting to compare Nathan Goodwin to Steve Robinson as they both write the same genre. Whilst Steve Robinson is possibly the better writer, Nathan Goodwin injects humour into his books making them eminently readable. I loved the character of Morton Farrier and his somewhat complicated family. He has a great back-story which will, no doubt, feature in future books - and I will most definitely be reading those books very soon. If stars came in halves, this would have been a 4.5 review. Highly recommended.
on 9 January 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this cracking yarn and it was a nice twist that it was a genealogist who was playing detective. Kept me guessing until the end and had several twists and turns in the plot to keep it interesting. Initially I did not find Morton that sympathetic a character but he grew on me as the book went on. I hope that Nathan Dylan Goodwin is going to write a series of these books. I, for one, would definitely like to read them and would recommend that others with an interest in both genealogy and detection give it a read.
on 20 December 2013
The book has not been properly proof read. There are countless grammatical and spelling errors. These spoil the overall enjoyment of the book.
on 4 October 2016
Poor
on 25 February 2014
What a truly gripping read this was. Of interest to me initially because of my passion for genealogy but this rapidly became a "can't put down" read. I loved the the main character Morton and his undoubted ability to produce an suitable quip at just the right time especially the one about the lady at the fete with several children! It was an enthralling read from start to finish and I greatly enjoyed accompanying Morton on every twist and turn of this adventure.
on 14 December 2013
A wonderful plot, excellently presented (who knew that genealogy could be so dangerous!) I couldn't stop reading it. The characterization and details of technology are also very good (though quoting full URLs of websites seems redundant in a novel).

BUT, like so many self-published books, the author needs to find or employ a proofreader.
There are very few actual spelling mistakes (automated spell-checkers have *some* uses), but many many places where he has chosen the wrong word or word form:
wrapped/rapped, lent/leant, psychical/physical, Mechano/Meccano, minutia/minutiae, faun/fauna, for example. There are also some rather bizarre uses of words.

PLEASE, authors, get someone else to check your spelling!
on 3 August 2017
The main idea is good unfortunately the way that it is presented is awful. The author seems to suddenly think of an idea and throws it in for no apparent reason. Reading is made more difficult by, at times, an unusual and jarring use of the English language.
Parts of the plot are just ridiculous and seemed to have been added as padding.
on 27 September 2015
I am a family historian, I write blogs post about family history. In my day job I write articles about family history and yet to relax I still like to read a good piece of fiction about family history! really enjoyed this book by Nathan Dylan Goodwin.
on 17 August 2015
Not really too sure what I think of this book. It has a good story line and the characters are interestng ,but on occasions I thought it jumbled. I hope the series improves.