Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Moana - Listen with Prime Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Isobel's Story: 1939: Volume 3 (Swallowcliffe Hall)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 September 2011
This is a great read. It's the last instalment in the 'Swalliowcliffe Hall' trilogy, and resolves secrets and mysteries from the first two books in a wonderfully satisfying way. Polly Perkins' granddaughter, Isobel, arrives at Swallowcliffe Hall in 1939 to convalesce after an illness and help her granny, who's become housekeeper there. The house has fallen on hard times, and I loved reading about how it has changed, and picking up on references from the first two stories. Isobel meets Andreas, a Jewish boy who has escaped from journey by means of the Kindertransport, and tries to help his family in the face of prejudice and mistrust on the village. The relationship between this sensitive girl and her grandmother is delightfully written and I was in tears by the end! So interesting to read about the period just before the Second World War was declared.
on 9 February 2012
I read this book first not realising it was the last book in a trilogy. Loved it though and since reading this i have read the 1st book and about to start on the 2nd one!!
Really enjoyed being taken back in time to life before WW2. Having watched and being a huge Downton Abbey fan i could relate to alot in the tv series from these books but if you have not watched Downton Abbey then it's not vital at all.
on 14 November 2013
Quite enjoyed this book, however I would just like to point out that I don't think ambulances and police cars in this country would have sounded sirens in 1939. I believe they still had bells then.
on 27 July 2012
I read the 3 books in the trilogy one after the other - Polly's Story, Grace's Story and Isobel's story and I absolutely loved the whole thing!
on 18 January 2013
The swallowcliffe series of books gripped me from the start.
I haven't been able to put them down
I almost feel like I've lived at swallowcliffe myself
Jennie Walters is a superb writer she know just how to draw you in and make you feel like part of the story
on 12 June 2014
This book, like the others, well, it's wonderful!! I adore Downton Abbey and these books transport you back to that time. All the characters are strong and all the story lines are believable and gripping. Recommended!!
on 12 April 2013
I enjoyed all the Swallowcliffe Hall books once started couldn't stop reading from one book to the other, I liked the family connection .
on 10 September 2013
I purchased this book for my wife to take on holiday and she thoroughly enjoyed reading this book written on Isobel's Story..
on 19 April 2013
Very easy to read, nice storyline, good value for money. Good follow on to Grace's story. Look forward to the others.
on 12 April 2013
Good story but easy to follow and just right for the beach or round the pool on holiday. Its a good read.