on 13 October 2014
Nothing in the book which cant be found for free elsewhere. The convenience factor of having it collated in one book makes this an okay purchase.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 June 2017
Great!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 April 2014
This book is true to its title. It really does take you from zero to having your own website up and running.

What I like about it is that it assumes that although I am ignorant about WordPress, I am actually a reasonably intelligent person familiar with using a PC and modern software packages.

This means it does not insist on reproducing every single screen and explaining every single field in tedious (and usually very verbose) detail. Instead it strikes a very pleasing balance by explaining the things that are important and those that I am likely to get wrong and leaves the rest for me to explore.

As well as this book I also bought: "WordPress To Go: How To Build A WordPress Website On Your Own Domain, From Scratch, Even If You Are A Complete Beginner by Sarah McHarry" which has the same qualities and I recommend for the same reason.

Although the two books cover much of the same ground I found that having two experts each explaining WordPress to me in their own words and with their own insights and views, made the learning process more effective. And any problems on my part could usually be overcome by referring to the other book.

Buy both!
on 4 April 2014
After writing websites in hard coding for several years I thought it time to learn and start using the very popular Wordpress CMS. I purchased the Kindle version and displayed it on a second monitor using the extended desktop display. I also purchased a low cost hosting package from Proserveuk.com with preinstalled Wordpress. There was a minor glitch with installing plugin updates on the shared server but Proserve quickly helped me overcome it. I logged into my account and just followed the book page by page and in no time all I had a Website mapped out and running. The book is easy to follow and you very quickly learn how Wordpress works and how it can be used for writing Blogs, conventional Websites and even combined ones if you are so inclined. This really is an excellent book to have in your programming library and is of great value in helping to steer through the morass of misinformation about Wordpress on the web. I have just ordered the paperback version to have by my side which I anticipate will become well worn into the future.
on 17 April 2013
I'm a technophobe at heart, especially where anything to do with IT is concerned. I suspect that the main reason for this is that, lacking any instinctive understanding, I need a detailed instruction manual to help me get to grips with anything that is new to me - and the geeks who are capable of understanding these things seem incapable of writing the sort of manual that I need.
So it was both a relief and a pleasure to find this guide. It starts at the very beginning of website creation with advice on hosting and domain name registration, and then goes through the process of creating a website/blog using Wordpress. It does it painstakingly, step-by-step, with screenshots of every stage.
It has convinced even me that I am capable of creating an attractive, effective site. If only all such instructional guides were this good.
22 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 July 2013
An excellent, straight-talking guide. No silly buddy-buddy language, good screen-grab illustrations with each stage. Excellent for all the start-up structure with hosting and so on.

Thank you Dr Williams! The patient is doing well.
on 16 April 2013
This book is a model of good teaching. Clear, uncluttered, direct. It takes you through the process with admirable clarity. I bought a printed guide to Word Press for twice the price which left me utterly confused - this book should be used as an example of how to teach. Very highly recommended.
on 2 November 2012
Although I already have a Wordpress blog, this book has been helpful in teaching me more about how I can best use it. Especially helpful were the screenshots of each step.
on 29 January 2014
First - I'm nothing to do with author. Second - this is the first time I've bothered to do an Amazon review. Third - I've only given this book five stars because i could not give it six!

Ignore anybody saying this book is too simple or slow, or annoying. Clearly they have a comprehension issue with the word "beginner".

Simply put, I bought this book after spending £150 plus on a one day Word Press course. If I had bought it first, I would have saved myself £150. EVERYTHING that was covered on the one day course is covered in this book and the book does it better, in way more detail and way more clarity.

For a genuine beginner, this book is a no brainer.
on 8 March 2013
I'm starting up my network marketing business again and looking at taking advantage of the internet. This book gave me so many useful ideas and took me step by step through quite a complicated set up. I think it's going to give me the perfect platform for my blog and am almost there. Not a quick one but only because it is so good and thorough.