on 23 November 2013
I am a trainee secondary school teacher who had no ideas on how to differentiate, particularly in a top set where everyone appeared to be of a similar ability.
The book gave me some great practical advice and some fab ideas on how to make differentiation fit in my lessons when I am at the stage where I have so much else to think about.
on 12 March 2017
Good and reminds you of things you might have forgotten.
on 21 June 2015
Really useful if you are looking to rejuvenate your practise before an observation or just pimp up your general approach. As HoD I've bought one for my dept library.
on 11 May 2017
Succinct, practical advice and ideas. Ended up buying copies for all my staff team and we love it.
on 25 July 2017
good
on 2 April 2017
If you dont know how to differentiate, this book will come very handy as you start your teaching career.
on 10 July 2014
Interesting and supportive book.
on 20 January 2015
Having been teaching for over 27 years, and a successful deputy head teacher, I bought this book as a resource to share with the NQTs that I am currently mentoring. I was most disappointed with the content of several of the chapters. E.g. much of the research from the Assessment Reform Group and others shows that learning objectives should be common to all students, and that having too many objectives becomes unmanageable, but the chapter on targets suggests several learning objectives. I was also surprised to see an example of a learning objective given that was more about completion of the task rather than transferrable learning. There was also some muddling up about the function of success criteria in this chapter which is also at odds with current research.
The sections on time and on thinking skills didn't really address differentiation, but just how teachers should plan these aspects with all students in mind.
The section on thinking skills was quite weak, with no reference to the use of specific thinking skills tools. I got excited at the end of the last chapter when I saw graphics" as a subheading, but again was disappointed to find that it wasn't actually talking about the use of graphic organisers to support differentiation, but merely about the use of photos.
Unfortunately I will not be sharing this book with my NQTs.
on 22 February 2014
I have long been a fan of Sue Cowley and her straight-talking style. This book really didn't disappoint - while I knew the basics and have always used differentiation in my teaching, this book served as a great reminder of some techniques that I had forgotten about, as well as introducing me to new possibilities also. Definitely worth a read if you feel like you are starting to stagnate in your teaching, or just need a quick refresher as to some of the endless possibilities for differentiation in the classroom.
on 11 June 2013
A good introduction and helpful guide to differentiation of children (into different needs, desires, skills and other categories) within the school classroom environment. Quickish read (less than three hours).