Customer reviews

Marius' Mules III: Gallia Invicta: Volume 3
Format: Paperback|Change

I love SJA Turney's writing. So much authentic detail can only come from deep research and understanding of Roman history, but far more than that, Simon cloaks historical figures with character and emotion that brings each episode to life. His battle and fight scenes are brilliantly written, with no holds barred and they leap off the page. Who knew that Rome at the time of Caesar was such a violent and unlawful place to be? Simon does and I believe him. As a reader usually of other genres, I am captured by this series and cannot recommend this author highly enough. He makes me want to explore Roman history to the depth that he clearly has. I am a fully fledged fan of Fronto and would like the t-shirt to prove it!
on 29 November 2015
I really love this series from S.J.A Turney, they are written in such a flowing manner similar to a Brandon Sanderson novel. Its obvious the author has spent a lot of time devoted to roman history as all of the stories are historically accurate in the broad sense. The novels are framed around the roman conquest of gaul from a senior officers view, with all of the views of caesar given from a completely different view to that usually portrayed from accounts of Brutus life.
on 30 September 2013
I am a big fan of historical fiction but only found out about the Marius Mules series recently.
Finished the first book in two days then bought and rattled through the whole series in quick time.
Basically it follows one of Julius Caesar's Legion commanders (or Legate), Marcus Fronto, during the invasion of Gaul, each book taking one year of the campaign.
Marcus is a hard drinking soldiers' solider with little time for Politics which causes many clashes with not only Caesar but also some of the other commanders. He nevertheless is a masterful commander and doesn't mind getting his hands dirty to get the job done.
Well written and full of action, but also historically very informative.
Highly recommended.
One person found this helpful
on 30 October 2017
Again, what can we say,another superb dashing,exciting story full of battles,schemes and pure unadulterated mayhem .Taking us from the wilds of Gaul to the gates of Rome to the three protagonists Caesar,Pompeii and Crassus .
on 12 June 2016
I found books 1 and 2 in a second hand book shop...I have been smitten ever since. Now reading this one and not disappointed. This books have fantastic characters fantastic storyline which are so detailed you feel that you are actually there, the battle scenes are especially well written.
If you like these kind of books you will not be disappointed.
Can't wait to read the rest
on 25 February 2018
Broader in scope than the first two books. Just as much action but the expansion into Rome's domestic politics adds a new and exciting aspect. Number four here I come.
on 4 August 2017
This series is a big disappointment. After three books the characters should be fully developed and they are not. My tin soldiers as a child were more dynamic. I will not be buying anymore of the series.
on 19 June 2015
I've read 1-3 and this gets 4 stars because its got me hooked, and I shall probably read the lot now. However, it's becomming a little bit 'same-same' - Fronto repeatedly gets drunk; Fronto repeatedly annoys Ceasar; Fronto gets injured; and Fronto does something brave. In 4 onwards, I'll be hoping for something a little different!
on 12 April 2014
Have got most of these books, I find them fascinating reading, the personal side of the Roman era centering around the main character, Fronto, How he deals with war, subterfuge, treachery, personal heartache in losing so many close friends the politics of Rome, the scheming of Ceasar Brilliant series .
on 12 June 2017
An interesting and entertaining view of Rome's treatment of its Iberian sphere of influence in pre-Christian days.