Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 January 2014
This book promises to provide a basic overview of deep sky astrophotography.

I found it very disappointing.

The author is a photographer who attempts to provide an introduction to long exposure astro-imaging "written from the point of view of a beginner". That I suppose he does but I found the text to be unconvincing in places and generally not terribly authoritative. For instance, statements like "Honestly, I don't know what its weight rating really is" and "Takahashi and Losmandy are both top tier mounts that I know very little about" and "I have not been able to see one of these yet but from the images it looks..." don't inspire confidence. My personal favourite is the opening of the "Shooting mono to get colour section" which begins "I should probably mention that as of right now I do not have and have never used a mono camera" which makes me wonder why the author feels qualified to write about them!

The author's assertions are also questionable in places - for instance many would disagree with him that hypertuning a mount doesn't increase load capacity and suggesting that moving an OTA from a Dobsonian mounting to a GEM is not a good idea because "the stresses could be too much and it could literally fall apart" seems highly suspect, at least for the Dobsonians that I've seen. Certainly the author is incorrect to suggest that levelling the tripod is essential for GEM mounts.

Other parts of the book - like the section on stacking using Deep Sky Stacker (DSS) - might be useful for some, but I found in this instance that the tutorials and help files available from DSS are more detailed and so the explanation in this book adds little.

Overall a disappointment for me, I'm afraid.
on 24 December 2013
My first introduction to astrophotography and an excellent place to start, excellent advice and guidance on the whole scope of the subject. Was very pleased with this and for the price it's a real steal - I've since paid 4 times this for other books on the subject (DSLR astro photography in particular) which were harder to read and provided less useful and accessible information.
on 14 November 2015
The 3 Allen Hall books that I got ALL contain EXACTLY the same pages, photographs etc with a few extra details "bolted on" to make the book a bit more specific in that particular area....

Not a bad read to be honest just a bit disappointing...!!!
on 19 March 2014
A very good book, well written and reasonably up to date.
It's American of course, although some reference is made to kit you can buy in the UK.
The pictures are all in black and white which is a let-down.
Little reference is made of how the various bit of kit are connected together, so the inclusion of 'wiring diagrams' would have been helpful.
Sometimes how the author's calculations are arrived at are a bit vague.
on 15 May 2014
I rated the book highly because it is a clearly written and easy to understand work that gave me all I was looking for in the details and guidance which has added to my understanding of the technically difficult subject. I recommend this book to any beginner.
on 26 January 2014
As suggested in the title this book was just what I was after.
I am fairly new to astonomy (a couple of years ) and was approaching astrophotography as a beginner. I have looked at many web sites and bought several books but none seemed to be what I needed until this book. Getting Started: Long Exposure Astrophotography is aimed at the beginner and beyond and i can thoroughly recommend it.
on 19 October 2014
A good place to start if your thinking of Astrophotography or already have started, full of setup tips.
good advice on mounts, telescope, costs. mount setup, tracking and guiding tips and the pro's and cons of colour/monochrome CCD or DSLR imaging, RGB/Narrowbanding.
and some stacking/processing info thrown in.
A Good starter book to read either before you buy a Telescope or helpfull info if you've already jumped in and are struggling.
on 25 February 2015
The US author clearly has a lot of money at his disposal for this hobby. Would have liked more about doing it on a small budget. Colour photo's would have been nice too.
on 31 March 2014
Excellent read and very easy to follow. Snippets of humour makes this book a joy read. Definitely a must have for amateurs.
on 18 January 2015
A very clear and thorough explanation as to how to use your DDLR camera to take astronomical pictures. One of the best!