Customer reviews

Marius' Mules I: The Invasion of Gaul
Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 February 2014
A great read, great characters and some great battle scenes. One of the best series of "Caesar" books out there - if you are thinking of spending a few pounds/ dollars on a "try it and see" basis this is one I would go for :-)
on 2 January 2013
Once again a good book well written,the fiction is difficult to seperate from the factual. I enjoy Roman history & if this is also your fortae you should enjoy this book.
on 19 June 2012
As a fellow Yorkshireman i'm afraid a certain amount of mild nepotism will be found here, heck we're family. Relax, as all yorkshiremen know that anything more effusive than a 'well done' is classed as foreplay. The 1st book of the series i found refreshing, a book that does not take itself too seriously. To me the author allowed himself indulgence, he moved away from the standard format of the genre and i personally am very glad. I am hooked on the whole historical fiction gig. Although it can get 'same old-same old' this is not that. I was kept interested, excited, and overjoyed at the levity. The book moves with great aplomb from one scene to another. I will follow this series to the end and beyond. . . .Well done Mr Turney.
on 2 July 2016
I am a fan of historical Rome fiction and was very pleasantly surprised with this book. Excellently vivid detail of the characters and locations with a good central protagonist. I look forward to reading the next one!
on 24 July 2014
Well written and interesting, nice to read an author who is willing to kill off main characters but done with finesse and in line with the story being told. Looking forward to reading the remainder of the series.
on 13 May 2014
Great series got the first couple cheap not expecting much but they are a very enjoyable read, right up there with Scarrow, Kane and even Iggulden. If you are a fan of the genre do yourself a favour and get them
on 2 July 2014
A rip-roaring tale of swash-buckling derring-do in Caesar's Gallic wars. A genuine page turner too. I absolutely loved it. Maybe it is a little 'Sharpe with swords rather than muskets', but that's no bad thing.
on 19 March 2014
What makes this story if the main character who is a Legate with Ceaser during his invasion of Gaul. The sixth book in this series is out now so if you read this look forward to the rest of the set. All good.
on 21 January 2014
I bought one to five and have nearly finished No 1. Glad I gambled on buying all 5 books as I like to have a stock ready to read.Good characters and well written.Looking forward to being entertained further!
on 19 January 2014
I enjoy historical fiction but this is the first time I have read a book covering the Roman era. An enjoyable read and I will certainly be moving on to the other titles covering Fronto's next adventures.