on 16 January 2014
This book captures the imagination somewhat with it's title and I ordered it without much thought. I thought it would be a book of ultra running tales similar to "Running though the wall" and "And then the vulture eats you" but it is in fact a beginners guide to running ultra marathons. The author describes.

"One average dude with limited athletic ability publicly writing a not-so-serious ultramarathon book for the rest of us"

It's certainly not one of the sterile and morbid guides to running you can get but quite a funny guide to running that most people would enjoy reading. Obviously being a super elite awesome ultra running machine that I am there is little I have to learn about the sport but this book suprised me with a combination of basic ultra running know-how and some pretty cool advice.

There is a lot of advice on how to survive the elements, hot and cold, wind and rain. There are tips on how to read the clouds and the animals to determine how long you have left to live on your run and some great general advice on first ultras and trails. I learned a bit on walking training and "speed-ups" during races. There are a lot of ideas here to try.

However I think this book goes to areas that others dare not go, the author has experimented heavily and can give you great tips on shaving certain areas to avoid chaffing (and maybe please others), how to get away with killing your annoying running buddy and.. erm.. "relieving" yourself on a run .

Jason Robillard is a man who has experimented on himself (in an ultra running sense of course) and is sharing all that he has learned, as he mentions at the start he is not on the heels of Kilian Jornet but more likely on the floor in a bar. However I reckon this serves very well as an intro to someone who might be doubting whether they are able to run an ultra. The laid back writing might be reassuring that anything is possible.

I recommend buying the book or at least following his facebook group which has lots of funny memes you can share with everyone. Read in addition to Relentless Forward Progress and you'll be invincible :)

[...]
15 people found this helpful
on 2 May 2016
There are a few ultra running book reviews by me now - I have started on the road to ultra running, so am digesting all the books I can. This is one of the better ones. At first Jason's American style was a bit twee for me, but eventually I found some reasonable advice and there is a lot of help buried in the pages. Give him his due, he says at the start that this is a jumble of experiences personal to him, and to learn more try your own training based on trial and error - such lessons are the best. This said, it is a book I can read again and it does have a title which reflects the level of humour inside. The British 'Arse', however, is far superior to the American 'Ass'. Worth a read by aspiring ultra and trail runners.
2 people found this helpful
on 18 July 2017
Wonderful insight into ultra running
on 27 August 2017
Bought this one the basis of the title. An entertaining read with some excellent tips. The only reason I did not give five stars was that a fair bit of the trail advice is US based, we don't get many bears in the UK!
on 29 January 2015
Have heard aspirational trail runner hubby chuckling to this. He's also picked up a couple of tips. Am very pleased with the purchase.
on 13 January 2018
Entertaining and contains useful advice for endurance running.
on 21 April 2014
Great book and really goes into useful details that otherwise the only way to learn is by mistakes. I really enjoyed it and would thoroughly recommend it for any trail runners.
on 18 April 2017
I'm not an ultra runner but after reading this I soon will be!! This book contains some invaluable points and guidance. A good easy read.
on 29 January 2016
Funny bits in here but very good advice to consider for ultra running.
on 17 January 2014
Born to Run was inspiring but very romantic. This book elaborates on the practical details required for ultra running in a down-to-earth way, with stabs of hilarity making it a spot-on read.
3 people found this helpful