on 27 December 2016
Shihan Kousaka Youkota, may I congratulate you on once again on producing such an excellent book. From the beginning to the end it is crammed with honest answers to many questions that I know many would shy from. The attention to detail on the true history of karate from its true china hand in Okinawa, the different ways of progressing with technique and kata, to even suggesting to go try different styles !!!!! I really could go on and on about the content of this book but I think it is best that katate students everywhere should buy it and digest the thoughts and transcripts that the author has very cleverly put over.
All and all a definite must for any serious karateka who wants to go one step further on their personal journey of karate do.
Colin Jolly student of Shito Ryu. UK
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 June 2014
I enjoyed this book very much. It gives some good insights into modern Shotokan karate and looks at how it has developed from it roots to modern day. Some of the explanations of the changes will certainly help with your study of the bunkai of some kata and some techniques will suddenly make sense when you understand the original intent.

I'm not sure that any great mysteries were solved but it certainly provides some clarity. Personally, it made me want to delve deeper into the history and intent of the Shotokan and other related styles.
on 14 July 2014
Some interesting points made by the author. Not sure I agree with a lot of his theories but that is only my opinion. There is value to this book if you are a Shotokan practitioner and you are thinking your karate is a bit too " Japanese". it could be a good starting point to discover more realistic bunkai for your kata but further study will be required.