Customer reviews

One Small Candle: The Story of William Bradford and the Pilgrim Fathers
Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 November 2016
Brilliant. Thank you from one small Candle in Plymouth England

Update! I have bought two copies of this book and also have the Kindle edition.
on 31 May 2015
Once I got into this book I found I couldn,t put it down.
on 25 October 2013
We have all heard of the Pilgrims and studied their journey somewhat in school. Author Evelyn Tidman will take you up front into the lives of the early settlers tracing back to 1607. Their quest for religious freedom to worship and differences in their views from their Catholic counterparts, would set them on a journey in which Tidman brings out the realities in their fight for survival:
-difficult inclement weather abroad ships
-disease and deaths abroad ships
-deaths of mothers and infants during birth
-Godly leadership raised up

Learn of their steadfastness to worship God on the Sabbath, fast and pray, and how God would see them through often right on time. Their endurance and perseverance came with a great cost and leadership would often switch hands due to beliefs and deaths. When you reflect back, perhaps you too, like myself, will come to the understanding that it was more than raw strength and will that would colonize New England and later give birth to a great nation; rather, it was the invisible hand of God that directed wisdom in many ways.

Whatever your perspective is in regards to the Indians, Tidman's research will clarify the early encounters between the Pilgrims and Indians. This is not just a story of a new beginning but the realities of love that wouldn't die and deception that would prove costly.

I will not give it away but you must read this to learn the significance of this title One Small Candle. I recommend this book for teenagers and adults. The drama unfolded will capture your attention while strengthening your historical understanding.
on 4 December 2013
I purchased some time ago and settled down for a good read. It started well enough, setting out the prevailing conditions that caused the pilgrims to take the risks that they did. Then somehow it got a bit repetitive and about 1/3 way through the book I almost gave up. I'm glad that I persevered. The second half of the book was worth the wait, describing in great detail the harshness of the venture, or should I say, adventure. Well researched and factual but still managing to be a novel.
on 14 November 2013
Like most people I thought that the Pilgrim Fathers arrived at Plymouth one day, sailed off on the Mayflower the next and (after a few vicissitudes) reached the New World where they established a colony. Right - but also very WRONG. If you want to know the true story behind their trials and tribulations then read this book and experience them with the main character William Bradford. Did you know, for example, that when they arrived, the colonists drew up a contract which they called the "Mayflower Compact" and each man took it in turn to sign? I didn't. I must admit that I am a bit of a history nut and so I enjoyed every authentic detail in the book. However, don't let that comment put you off, the author's research never overwhelms the reader. Once they reach the New World they have starvation, hostile native American (well, you would fight for your land, wouldn't you?)and other settlers to contend with. But their desire for religious freedom more than outweighs personal suffering and and disease. Other reviews have gone into the detail of the book more than I have here. I will just finish by saying that I really enjoyed this novel and at the end of it I understood why Mrs Tildman had chosen the title: ONE SMALL CANDLE. Read it and you will, too.
on 22 January 2015
I grew up hearing the story of the Pilgrims in school every year. How they were a group of people who were struggling to discover and practice what they viewed as a "pure religion," how they were Englishmen and women who were persecuted for their beliefs by their countrymen, how they fled to Holland, and then eventually sailed on the Mayflower to establish the colony of Plymouth in North America. Yes, I knew these facts because they were drilled into me year after year. What I never understood until I read "One Small Candle," by Evelyn Tidman, was the human aspect of this whole story. These were not just stick figures shuffling about so that scores of American school children could be forced to listen to their teachers rehearse these bare details every year. In "One Small Candle," suddenly all these names I had heard so many times--William Bradford, Miles Standish, Squanto, and others--ceased to be merely names and suddenly became real, living, breathing people.

Yes, before they settled in Plymouth, the Pilgrims went to Holland. But how long were they there? What did they do all those years? What was it like to live in Holland during those years? And a question no school teacher ever even suggested to us, why didn't they just stay in Holland? What made them to decide to leave settled cities and civilization to sail to a land of no cities, no towns, no farms, no neighbors, nothing at all that they would recognize as "civilized" in the way they understood the word? What was it like to travel on the Mayflower all those long, long months? Yes, I knew that many died that first winter. But in school, they were just numbers. In "One Small Candle," those deaths suddenly become very real and very heartbreaking. And what must have gone through the would-be colonists' minds when they first laid eyes on an uninhabited shore and realized that they would literally have to build everything from the ground up. No stores to go buy supplies, no neighbors to borrow tools from (they could not at that point know anything but rumors about the Indians who lived there), nothing but literally their own blood, sweat and tears and the resources they could scrape together from the land. And a huge ocean between them and Europe if, when things became too difficult, they had a change of heart and wanted to go "home!"

This book opened my eyes in new and wonderful ways to the story of the Pilgrims. I will hereafter think of them with far greater respect and love than I ever have before, not because they were a group of perfect people, but for the very reason that they were human and flawed, yet courageous and determined to stand by their convictions whatever the cost.
on 16 March 2015
This was one of those books that keep you reading until all hours of the morning no matter the consequences of having to be at work early the next day! I wanted it to just keep going! The historical details accurately fill in between romance, adventure and suspense! It was a wonderful read! I also enjoyed "Gentleman of Fortune" just as much and am looking forward to Evelyn Tidmans newest book as well. You will enjoy her writings and won't want to put them down.
on 5 January 2014
I have just finished 'One Small Candle' and would like to tell you how much I enjoyed it. I was captivated from the beginning and it held my interest right up to the final page. Thanks Evelyn for all the hard work that you must have put in to produce such a gem. Definitely worth 5 stars
on 13 March 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. The author put a lot of emotion into the scenes and I'll admit to sniffing back tears a few times. Life in the 1600's was difficult. It was filled with hardships and complications, yet respectful behavior was a must. In this story, the Separatists were longing for freedom to practice religion in their way. After lots of problems at home they set off to America to start their own colony. In the process they lost many loved ones. Ms. Tidman did an excellent job of presenting the story in such a way that I experienced the journey with her characters. If you love reading historical fiction, this book might be for you.
on 20 January 2014
I approached this book with a certain amount of apprehension but I am glad that I persevered with this story as I am now totally captivated by it. On reading it I found that it shone a light into a world that I had no previous knowledge of. The Authors research will clarify the early encounters between the pilgrims and Indians. I found that I developed an intrest in this period of history. There endurance came with great cost and leadership would often switch hands due to beliefs and deaths. This book most certainly captured my attention.
I would certainly recommend this book.