Format: Paperback|Change

When Mary's father got caught embezzling, she lost everything - her home, her father, her status - but worst of all was losing her fiancé, one of the partners her father had stolen from.

As much as it hurt, John let her go, believing her to be innocent of her father's crimes. But eighteen months later he's finally tracked her down, certain she knows where the missing money is. And he'll do anything to get it back.

Like all of Milan's novellas there's plenty more than the obvious going on here - social status, rules of etiquette, psychological abuse - and as always CM handles it beautifully. Mary and John are a pair of social misfits, not obviously different, but both a little ahead of their time.

Because this novella was originally part of a book of three vaguely linked stories from three different authors, there are a few things here that seem a little out of place - particularly the epilogue. I haven't read Midnight Scandals, but I still found this easy enough to follow.

It's not the best novella I've read by CM, but it's still a pleasant read from an author who has mastered this short form. Sweet and romantic with an excellent sense of the Victorian period, Courtney Milan remains one of my favourite historical authors, and if this was by anyone else I'd probably give it four stars, but because CM's other novellas are really good, it only gets three. If you've never read any Courtney Milan before try one of her other short stories before coming back for this one.
on 23 February 2015
This novella is a very well written romance with the right mix of conflict, chemistry, emotion and sexual tension. For the heroine, it is also about rising from the ashes and embracing life.

Things seem dire for Mary in the beginning, as she is hiding secrets and seemingly betraying her fiancé, John. As the couple ends their relationship, the heartbreak they feel is communicated beautifully. I longed for them to recapture their love, even though I, as a reader, did not know the details or see it blossom from the beginning. It takes great skill for a writer to be able to immediately foster that feeling in me.

Then they have a second chance at love. From feelings of disappointment, resentment and suspicion we follow John and Mary as they build a friendship. I so enjoyed reading as their new love developed.

Aside from Mary's romance, there is a secondary story involving Mary's employer. That part of the story was suspenseful, and had my heart beating hard, hoping for Mary's success.

The history of financial law and matrimonial law is highlighted beautifully, putting the historical context of this story front and centre for the reader.

I find Courtney Milan is an inspired writer, and she created satisfying solutions for her characters' predicaments.

John and Mary are strong, honourable and very likeable characters. My heart warmed reading their romance. This story was a winner for me.

*includes sex scenes
on 30 April 2013
Starts rather in the middle of things with the heroine lugging the body of her suicide father around in her trunk. All her father's business partners hate her because Dad was an embezzler. 18 months later the girl is in further dire straits when the hero catches up with her. Together they solve everyone's problems. Then 40 years later we are given a quick retelling of all their achievements, and don't forget the puppies! But we are never told precisely what happened at any midnight in the story. But this author wrote my favourite regency romance: "Unlocked."
on 3 October 2013
Loved this story too I'm hooked on Courtney milan . Sex at midnight lovely great writer thanks kindle. Another excellent read