on 17 March 2017
Loved this , read it in cyprus as I never knew much about this period in its history found it shocking and heart warming in equal measure , easy and quick to read
on 7 August 2013
I love this book so much! I have actually just finished reading it for the second time so that I could appreciate the detail. I read it very quickly the first time because it was so exciting, I couldn't put it down!

I love the personal connection you feel when reading the book. It would have been easy to get sidetracked with the complicated political situation but the stories of the individuals involved is what made it really special for me.

In the postscript Pete writes "In 1980 we moved to the abandoned Turkish village of Plataniskia and the life we enjoyed there would fill another book" ... I'm really hoping that he writes this other book because I would love to read more.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in the personal stories of refugees and people facing extreme situations, and the bravery and courage of the human spirit.
on 29 September 2016
I was in Cyprus in 1973 during the Turkish invasion and have continued to holiday there ever since. I didn't like this book and question why people go to deprived regions and simply add to the demand for resources that are limited for those who have no choice but being there.
on 4 July 2013
I Absolutely Loved reading this book. It is Written in such great detail. I Felt a real connection throughout the whole book. I couldn't put the book down and was treated to so much insight into Peter's life and that of his wife and young son During that time & was left hungry to find out what happened next & i found i'd finished the whole book a lot quicker than any other book i've read. I enjoyed it so much i was sad to have reached the end & wished i was now just about to start it for the first time. I am so Pleased that Peter took the time & effort to account his story & turned it into a worthwhile book to read and for that i thank him alot.
Thank-you
on 14 October 2013
All I can say is WOW! what an amazing read with real powerful emotions leaping from the page, it made me feel as if I was there next to both Peter and his Wife May experiencing the same things. It is written in such a way that you just want to keep reading, I couldn't put it down. Would recommend to everyone to read. I hope that Peter writes a second book about his adventures.
on 18 February 2014
The Turkish invasion of cyprus happened before I was born but it directly effected family and loved ones. This book gave me such an insight into what people must have gone through. More information than I have ever heard from anyone. An insight into daily life during such a harrowing time.
It's very sweet and made me cry and I'm so glad I came across it on amazon.
on 28 May 2013
It is not often that I find a book I cannot put down. Whilst the war in Cyprus is a distant memory, the honest and moving account through the eyes of Pete Moore, painted a thought provoking picture of the lives of the victims of war. This story is as relevant today as it was then. It is not written in a 'preachy' or self glorifying manner, but the strength and dignity of the human spirit shines through.
on 25 November 2013
I am not much of a book reviewer and so I doubt I can do justice to this excellent book. It is a truly compelling read from start to finish and is both heart warming and heartrending. The daily realities of people caught up in conflict and how they coped is expressed beautifully. This book left me with a feeling of what is truly important in life and how ordinary people can face serious adversity with courage and dignity.
on 21 August 2013
Could not put this down. An amazing insight into the determination,courage and feeling of community that prevailed in war torn Cyprus and a truly moving personal account of what happens to ordinary people in these situations. Hoping there is a sequel!
on 28 December 2016
a memoir of the authors stay in cyprus during the 1974/75 war when they were evacuated back to britain interesting for its personal account and as a diary of photos