on 27 March 2017
A classic story about a headstrong young orphan. I loved this story as a child and having reread it now to my daughter I am discovering it all over again. If you've never read it then take a chance and get it, you won't be disappointed. The characters are beautifully written, the description of the area is beautiful and the story line is innocent but captivating.
on 24 August 2013
I was given this book to read by my gran when I was around 12 years old and thought I would read it again through adult eyes, it is still a charming and innocent book about a little girl with a vivid imagination I wondered why my gran gave it to me now at nearly 60 I understand. will read it to my granddaughter when she gets a little older.
on 23 July 2014
Bought this for my 11 yr old daughter as it was a favourite of mine as a child. Started to read it myself and wasn't disappointed the way you can be when you revisit something that you loved . Simple beautiful storytelling about a girl whose spirit and imagination get her through a grim start in life. The grim realities are only hinted at and perhaps have more meaning for the adult reader. What a joy to spend some time with the wonderful Anne and the equally wonderful Mathew and Marilla
on 3 February 2015
This collection was the choice of my wife - reliving some of the memories of books read many years ago and enjoying others that she had not seen before. She has been delighted by them all and is only sorry that she has finished them and now wants to read the other 'Anne' books not included in the collection. For those who enjoy old fashioned stories without much of the unpleasantness and bad language prevalent in so many modern novels, these are a breath of fresh air.
on 26 May 2017
I never read any of these books when I was younger, so I'm sorta catching up. They're lovely stories, very atmospheric of the old days in early America country folks, and quite heartwarming. The characters are warm and real, and you find you get swept into their lives. Lovely nostalgia reading.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2017
I had read the first two books as a teenager, but now in my 50's it was great to read the complete collection. About Anne but also her children as they grow up and their lives in WWI.
This is a great read and at a very low price.
on 28 June 2016
These series of books are incredibly old fashioned in style but oh so lovely to read! The descriptions of the countryside through the seasons and the handling of the torments of war years is so wonderfully written that I felt moved to tears in parts. I know that the style would not suit everyone, but to me it was a breath of fresh air!
on 6 February 2014
These stories have been revisited as an adult and are as delightful as I found them as a youngster.
The stories are set during the early 1900's and follows the life of a young orphan girl, her friends and her own family as she grows up in a farming community on an island just off of Canada.

Its wonderful to have a taste of what life was like for Anne and the other characters throughout their lives and is so innocently and beautifully written.
on 13 July 2016
It's a long time since I last read such a beautifully written book. The descriptive passages are so evocative and beautiful. One can see the sunrises and evening gloaming so clearly. The story is funny, sad, and inspirational all at once. Everyone should read the book at least once, I shall certainly make it a Must read again choice
on 19 July 2015
You have to love this. The Anne stories are simply superb, and the atmosphere of Prince Edward Island is perfectly conveyed. Apparently a book for children, it is easily appreciated by all ages. Through skilful and beautiful writing, the essence of the characters is captured perfectly and you feel you know them all personally. Simply wonderful.