on 17 April 2013
There were some useful tips but the first few chapters were littered with spelling and grammatical errors. It was as if Andrew pressed the print button before actually proofing anything. I found this most off-putting and discarded the book within a few chapters – if the author can’t be bothered to check his work then it isn’t worth reading. A basic spell checker would have picked up these simple errors.
44 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 July 2013
I bought The 500 Social Media Marketing Tips Book alongside Likeable Social Media and The Ultimate Small Business Marketing Book, based on the amount of positive reviews on Amazon and a bit of googling. I was looking for direction for our companies social media marketing efforts. I have had the books for a few days now and feel ready to review.

The 500 Social Media Marketing Tips Book provides a wealth of short tips and explaination of how to engage in social media marketing from a business perspective. It goes through the major networks and it doesn't skip on any details, it takes you through from start to finish - setting up your network page/account to actually using it effectively.

This book is better than the USBMB & Likeable as it provides short snippets of information on using and communicating effectively with your customers, it is therefore easy to dip in and out of, even when flicking through random pages. It explains exactly what it is, what it does and how to get one. Precisely what someone wants who is always short of time and wants to deliver a social marketing strategy. As a bonus is updated every 3 months to include any updated relevant information.
11 Comment| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 February 2014
A good book and three stars but whilst all areas are covered, they are not explained in detail enough actually how to put them into practice.

For example, on Pinterest, it says, Encourage Comments and Ask For Likes, saying here is an opportunity to engage with other users etc, etc but I am not told how I encourage comments, likes and re-pins, it seems to be expected that you know or that you will find out yourself and it is like this all the way through the book.

If you already understand Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest etc. then this will be very helpful, if not you may be wondering just how to implement a lot of what the book tells you to do.
on 23 March 2012
Having read this book, I now feel a lot more confident that I can attract a greater number of customers to my business by taking advantage of all that social media (and more) has to offer. This book is packed full of useful hints and tips to help your business grow. This book will be like a personal marketing advisor from now on!!
on 23 October 2016
This book is brilliant. Having recently taken over the social media of a successful business I needed to get some tips on how to manage multiple social media accounts in the best way possible. It offers some good tips that are easily actionable and although I would say a lot are common sense, I think you don't always think about certain ideas unless they are presented to you.
There are a lot of statistics in this book, and considering it was updated in June 2016 (the version that I have anyway) is really good because it means everything is relevant and you can see comparable results.
It also recommends multiple external sites to have a look at which can help - specifically in terms of getting the most out of your posts by posting about the most relevant topics of the moment.
I downloaded this on Kindle so it's perfect for reading on the go, and it means I can highlight the most important things for later use!
on 21 October 2012
I reviewed the Kindle version for State of Search here:[...]

There's a lot of information in the copy I was sent for review, but it was poorly organised. Better organised, and easier to navigate, I'd probably have given it a 4/5.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 September 2014
I have not read the book because the hard copy I received was poorly printed. The text is on the top edge of each page and the text is not centred on each page. It's going back to Amazon....what a waste of time.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 17 February 2013
i have come lately to social media; I use Facebook to keep in touch with my children, but as a tool for business, I realise that I know too little and am coming to it very late in the day. I have a Facebook page for business, Twitter and a blog and, until recently, had 3 likes and 1 follower. This book has been instructive: not only does it give instructions in what to do, but extends the range of what you can do and the inter-relatedness of social media. For those who are savvy in these things, it will be a useful tool; for people like me, it is probably indispensable. I expect a lot from the instructions and advice that it gives - further feedback to this review might provide further endorsement, but at this point I can only recommend it to anyone who wants to do more with social media to connect and present a message to a wider public. This book has enhanced my understanding of what is possible and for that I give it 5 stars.
on 11 July 2012
This book is great, as per the other comments.

The format of the kindle version is terrible though because the font size is set really really low.

Yes, you can change the font size and view it perfectly, but then the font size for for all other books is huge - first world problem admittedly, but annoying nonetheless.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 November 2012
This is a great round-up of the state of social in 2012. It's unusual to have it all pulled together without a huge bias toward one site or the other, and it seems like a book that's going to be continually updated.

I have seen that there are issues with the Kindle version, but I cheat: I read it using an app on my desktop. The issue is that many reference books are not yet well served by the ebook format - this would seem to be a case in point. It won't stop me giving a 5-star review!

Added in 2016 - The latest version is equally handy, and since I won a proper book version in one of Andrew's competitions I now have it as a key reference book. I know it's up to date - but I'm sure everything will have changed again by 2017, annoyingly. Keep up the good work, and I'll keep reading the updates :-)