on 23 August 2013
Love all CM's books, great stories with well developed characters. Read them again and again. Lydia is actually quite likeable and has many layers for such a short story. I liked jonas' humour it was typically off beat for a medic, although more pathologists style but gave him a character, anything but bland.

But after all that excellent research such a shame to spoil it by mentioning kris kringle (american to the core and out of place), no one in Victorian Leicester "figures" stuff out or walks any distance measured in "blocks". Other reviewers have mentioned these before but i thought i should be more specific to be helpful not nasty.
on 30 November 2015
This is the first review I have ever written on Amazon - actually it is the first book review I have written since I was about twelve and required to do so at school! I just don't know what it is about this story that makes it so captivating and utterly delightful. Of course the characters are not perfect - but then they never are - are they? The setting - Leicester - hardly the most exciting place I have visited. However, the author really manages to draw you in and you truly want these two unhappy people to find the peace and contentment they really deserve.

When I need something to cheer me up - bring a little balance back - I turn to this charming novella - and it never fails to make me smile.
on 3 March 2014
It was a really nice read for a cold winter night. I'd recommend the author to any fellow fans of Tessa Dare. I had a minor gripe about the use of Americanisms, but that is a very personal thing and it didn't detract from my enjoying the book
on 28 December 2014
Sweet little story that keeps you engrossed until the end. The Doctor is one of those annoying men who get under your skin and Ms Milan conveys that very well in her story.

Lydia was a supporting character to Minnie in the first book I read, The Duchess War, so it's nice to find out what her life held for her at the conclusion of that story.

I'm not going to tell the tale here Ms Milan does it so much better, and I hate reading those reviews that feel obliged to give the nuts and bolts of the story.
on 20 September 2013
Not the standard regency novel or the standard love interest. A Novello to the Brother Sinister series. Having never read Courtney Milan before this series it was a bit of a risk but one I'm glad I took as I was not disappointed. Give it a go, YOU won't be disappointed.
on 30 December 2013
This is a good book well wrote if a little short. The male character was very different to the normal duke or earl type of the normal regency romances (that can be a very good thing)
on 15 June 2013
An unexpectedly delightful novella, prequel to The Duchess War. An unexpected romance that develops unusually that makes me sure I'll be reading this one again.
on 23 July 2013
Really good story. I loved the characters and the storyline was interesting. I will enjoy reading it again and will definitely put it in my favourites
on 25 October 2013
Another enjoyable story in this series, easy reading and entertaining. Will be reading the rest and lining up for her next one in the spring
on 22 February 2014
I have read this story so many times, I love all of the characters, it never stops leaving me with a warm fuzzy feeling when I've read it x