Pollyanna
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 6 January 2011
One of the thrills of having a Kindle is the ability to download old childhood favourites for free. This is one I hadn't read and to be honest one which I probably wouldn't have bothered with if it hadn't been free. But it was and I enjoyed it. It is unfortunately very similar to the prequel, Pollyanna. As in Pollyanna there is a crotchety middle aged woman for Pollyanna to win over and similarly there is an orphan boy, Jamie this time rather than Jimmy, to be found a home. One gets the feeling that the author didn't have a great pool of plots from which to fish. That said, this is entertaining and worth reading if you're a fan of the original or of the Anne of Green Gables series. And it costs nothing!
on 18 January 2018
Interesting book, sequel to the first book. Rather old fashioned for youngsters nowadays., so I'm not sure who might read it. I'm GLAD I read it!!!
on 25 August 2014
This was probably my favourite book as a child so I've downloaded a copy to my Kindle to re-read it. I suspect I was prompted to buy it by the television series that was shown around the same time starring the late Elaine Strich. I loved the idea that however bad things are there are always some positives that can be found - now known as "The Pollyanna Principle - I believe and I attribute my generally optimistic nature to reading this book as a child. Delightful!
on 22 August 2014
I wasn't sure at first as it seemed very different to the original, but once I got into it, it was a really great story. Most of the original (and loved) characters make an appearance and there are some new interesting ones as well. It is a very strong story which has some good twists and turns and a few surprises. I would say it is probably better than the original if that is possible.
on 4 November 2013
Pollyanna has always been a favourite of mine and I was delighted to find it on the Kindle as I haven't read it in years. Yes, it does seem slightly old-fashioned and many children today would call Pollyanna a 'goody goody,' but that's part of her charm. It shows that one person can make a big difference in the world. If you like the 'What Katy Did' series or any of Louisa May Alcott's books, I think you will love this book.
on 18 July 2011
Having been called Pollyanna often in the last couple of years when I saw it available so cheaply for the kindle I just had to get it.

All I can say is I'm so GLAD I did!!! What an absolutely delightful story. I'm a pretty positive person so I can see why this story has come to my attention, but the little girl in this book just comes alive through the pages. You can picture her bounding around full of energy and appreciation for life.

Reading it truly does make you aware of how much we all have to appreciate in life and in all honesty, I never wanted this book to end! Just lovely!
on 20 May 2016
I am learning Italian and most books are a bit difficult for me at the moment, but this one is great. I always loved Pollyanna so it is great to be able to read it again and am learning a lot of Italian without it being a chore
on 15 February 2017
This is a delightful story about a little girl who tries so hard to be optimistic about all the difficult things in life that she unconsciously helps others to be happy.
on 2 March 2014
Wasn't 100% sure at first, but soon warmed to it. I have a bit of a problem with the resolution, which leaves a loose end that seems to be crying out for a follow up. (Haven't read any of the ones by other authors.) Nonetheless, Pollyanna does indeed grow up very nicely. She has a bit of thing to deal with somewhere along the line, but I'm sure she will do just fine.
on 12 December 2016
Classic literature at it's best. Everyone loves Pollyanna, except the woman she lives with. We feel her pain at having a room with only a tiny window and being treated like second best. A great book for children and adults alike