Customer reviews

on 4 June 2013
I don't really read books about knights that much because I'm a girl but I loved Barnabus Mudpatch! It's such a good story and I really felt anxious for the characters when they got themsleves into all sorts of trouble. Especially when he went into the jousting competition - yikes!

Really liked the dark character Drazogon - he was wicked and ghostly. And the little pictures were cool. I copied some of them to make my own girl knights.

I'm ten and a friend gave me this book, so now I've lent it out to my friends but I don't think I'll ever get it back!

If you have children about my age, I think they'd really like this. It's a really cool adventure story.
on 3 June 2013
I love reading children's literature because of it's innocence and fun. I am especially pleased this book was recommended to me. I enjoyed the sweet, simple writing and the historical accuracy of this charmingly developed book. I loved learning about Barnabus' life as a "Mudpatch" and his clever and cheeky ways of traveling through his home city of Waxminster and avoiding trouble until he couldn't escape the fate his talents and spirit drew to him. I'm so pleased that the book's ending left lots of room for Barnabus to reconnct with his new friends for more adventures. Can't wait for the next one! I'm sure young readers will enjoy it as much as I did.
on 19 August 2013
This enthralling book dives straight into the action on the very first page and then cleverly weaves character description and background information into the high speed plot, which keeps the book moving at a good pace. The characters are interesting and you can't help wanting to know what will happen next. Barnabus Mudpatch makes a likeable hero who is brave, intelligent and resourceful. I would recommend it to children from the ages of 8 - 12, but as a teacher, I also enjoyed reading it and would choose it to read to my class, as it is engaging for both boys and girls.
on 17 November 2013
I purchased this so that my grandchildren could have something to read when they visit. I always read books before they do as I did not know the author. However I found it almost impossible to put down! I have since purchased more books by this author and my grandchildren have also enjoyed the story. It was fun to read and difficult to put down. I hope more stories are forthcoming about this character - he is a "harry potter" of olden days. My only thought is that these books would seem too young for 11 or 12 year olds. My 10 year old found them wonderful. Definitely recommended for girls or boys.
on 22 November 2013
While I'm a little older than the target audience for this book, I still found it a very enjoyable read. There's plenty of action, adventure, and humour to keep the reader entertained, and a few interesting bits of historical information thrown in on top. An entertaining read for all ages and a properly exciting tale for older children.
on 26 May 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book (which I have read before passing to my 10 year niece). Every time my adult mind wandered ahead and tried to predict the plot, I was surprised and delighted as the story swung in a clever new direction. A little slow to start (but the first chapters are required to set the scene), I urge readers to continue as the final chapters are hard to put down.

Youngsters who love knights, history or just absorbing facts will love the introduction and the descriptions of medieval armour, towns and castles. Ancient magic, family, friendship and just a hint of romance are thrown in too.

Excellent for age 12 although I think younger wordsmiths would also enjoy it - the storyline is easy to follow but has a delightful smattering of technical terms and interesting adjectives to challenge them.
on 5 May 2015
A Brilliant Children's book!!

I bought it for my 9 year-old-niece Alessia last Christmas and she enjoyed reading it so much, that she's named her new puppy Barnabus!

It is a great adventure, full of fun and appropriated for older children!
on 17 January 2015
An excellent story, rich in lively events with an interesting historical background and plenty of excitement and magic.. A really good read form 9-11 year olds..
on 5 April 2015
This book is good for 8-12 years old kids because it is set in medieval times and is very exciting. I am 9 years old.
on 11 March 2013
I bought this book for my kindle, for 99p you can't really go wrong. I found it to be very fast paced so much so that I didn't want to put it down. It grips you from the very begining, and the characters are very endearing. Whilst I might be slightly older than the age range it is targeted for, I still enjoyed it. A little bit of escapism. Could easily be read by children or read to slightly younger children.