Customer reviews

Chosen: Volume 1 (Ancients of Light)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 May 2014
I absolutely loved reading this book. From the very first page I was hooked. It is exciting, full of action and very well written, I couldn't put it down.
The characters are strong and the imagination of the writer is amazing. I can't wait to read the next in this series, brilliant!
Lynn
on 21 November 2014
loved the mixture of light and dark, witch & vampire, and obvious conflict between good& evil. Easy read that just flowed from start to finish
on 21 October 2012
Book provided by author

In the first century of creation the Vampire split into Dark and Light factions. The Light Vampire faction united with the Witch because of the mating between the Ancient Queen in the Warrior Caste of Witch, Brisen and an elder Vampire Alaric.

The Ancient Queen Witch was believed to have betrayed her coven and was killed by her mate. They were united no longer, Vampire believed all the Witch untrustworthy while the Witch were adamant of the Ancient Queens innocence and were enraged by her murder. Now, the Witch and Vampire had a dubious truce only on the battlefield.

A thousand years after the betrayal a prophecy was foretold by Ancient Myrrdyn of the Witch. He said a girl would be born who would wield the ultimate combination of powers from all 7 Caste of Witch and put an end to the Dark. In order to do this she had to take a Vampire as her mate. She was named, the Chosen. Will this girl find her mate and fulfil the prophecy? Or will mankinds only hope be destroyed?

Heather Fleener sends readers on a magical journey in this tale of good vs evil. Her descriptions make the story come alive and makes the reader yern to know more.
It was a brilliant read and i look forward to reading the next installment
on 9 April 2013
Oh wow, I totally loved this book!
The world it is all set in, The Realm, is so well crafted and detailed. There are two sides, the light and the dark. The Light, originally just the witches, are created to help protect humans from the Dark- originally the Vampires. Eventually, some vampires became part of the light, and were united with the witches in fighting the dark, until a betrayal created a rift between the vampires and witches.
A prophecy is foretold of a female witch who will have powers from the 7 castes, and will be the Chosen; she will unite the species and bring an end to the dark. Step forward, Kat! Kat is a super powerful witch and the Chosen. With Lorcan, the Warrior of Light vampire at her side they can fulfil the prophecy.
I thought Kat was great, she was spirited and mischievous. She has a playful sense of humour that lends amusement to this richly woven saga. She was sassy, without being irritatingly so. Her assurance in the strength of her powers is great, my favourite quote comes from a point where she's seriously angry with two men who won't listen to her properly for different reasons: `I am amazing and you arrogant asses are too feeble minded to realize it!' That had me laughing, especially in the context of the book.
Lorcan is awesome; he's sinfully handsome, a bit arrogant (he is the Warrior of Light after all), totally kick-ass and a powerful Vampire- with a witch mother. He can be a bit domineering at times, but I think it can only be expected when you consider that he was born in a time when men were the top dogs.
Actually it's one of the things I loved about this book, it's set in modern times but has a historical feel to it because the characters are very old. This was a great blend for me.
Lorcan and Kat are perfect for each other, and irresistibly drawn to one another. She adds a levity to the story and to Lorcan's life. Whilst he reigns her in when she needs to be more cautious, and guides her in her new life.
The build up of the chemistry between the two was very well done, it was a nice slow build up -they didn't just dive into bed!
The battled between light and dark, and the changes occurring in the realm because of the prophecy play a key part in the story, and the battle scenes have plenty of tension and details!

This has the feel of an epic saga, with a passionate romance woven through. I can't wait to read Forsaken (book 2) and find out what will happen next in the Realm!

I received a copy of the e-book for an honest review.
on 6 March 2014
So loran is hot, mighty alpha which is always a good start and the heroine katriana is a likeable character. She has understanding, a temper and stubbornness, however the shortfall for me was (and this may make more sense when you've read the book) although we start in the Middle Ages past, and the book brings us into the modern future, other than being told that you would never know. I know that the culture Lorcan lives in would not be a modern lifestyle but there are some very ancient socialites which I think become overbearing and made me feel that Kat wasn't being an understanding partner in her submissions, but actually it came across as a bit uncomfortable. Instead of the well written words explaining why lorcan acts in a certain way completing the scene, it actually makes the whole thing spoiled by the way kats actions/reactions are then explained/written. Other than this though I did really enjoy the book. It felt easy to be part of their world and culture and I never felt lost. It was a good pace throughout with enough description and characters to keep it going. I would certainly recommend giving this a go!
on 26 August 2014
I enjoyed this book. Initially I found the book a tad annoying. I liked that Kaitriana was a strong character but I thought that the author making her appear juvenile and spoilt didn't gel with the fact that she was the chosen one, I think her inexperience could have been portrayed differently. This is only a minor gripe though and I thoroughly enjoyed the book and I think the series is going to be great. Buy it if you like magic, vampires and good action scenes. I'm off to buy the next in the series now!
on 29 October 2014
I think it's great when you stumble along a book this well written :-) I found this book by mistake and it caught my eye, reading the blurb I thought it would be just ok but I change that to great now I have read it :-)
I love that there was a lot of prejudice throughout between the witches and vampires let along side your more conventional light and dark.
 Loved how 'sassy' Kaitriana is and how she speaks her mind and tries not to be too stubborn when it comes to Lorcan.
on 1 May 2014
Good book, interesting and mysterious and unexpected surprises and seemed everyone wanted something from Kat for their own advancement and were distrustful of her, but she earned their respect and loyalty. It was also nice to see someone else's interpretation of the supernatural genre and understand the history behind the characters. Looking forward to the next book which if written in the same high quality will be fantastic. First time reading this author and am impressed
on 22 April 2016
This was a great book! Such a wonderful story and great writing!
it is also rather intense. As in, not for kids....
The story moves along at a good speed, which is good. I find too many series are slow to have events unfold so that the writer can have more books written. Not the problem here.
The book also made me laugh out loud a few times. Although intense in some aspects, it's also light hearted and playful.
Love love love the main characters!
on 12 July 2014
loved,loved,loved this book!!!! I found myself totally emersing myself in the realm,trying to picture each character in my minds eye.I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline,Kat can definitely be bratty but in an amusing manor.Lorcan is a strong male lead without the usual arrogance that you sometimes find in books.As soon as I finished the last page I immediately one-clicked FORSAKEN and will be starting it as soon as I post this review