TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 18 April 2014
I have used a variety of video editing software, professional and consumer, but Sony Vegas has been my go to editing package for some years because of its ease of use and basic quality of video output. Having upgraded to version 12 recenty, I wanted to get to grips with some of the latest enhancement, particularly to picture in picture and chroma key. For the most part, the manual covers all of the basic tools, with a few bangs and whistles and experienced users might find just a little of relevance, but new users will find this manual invaluable, easy to follow and very instructive. As an experienced user, I find it a good reference and helpful wherever I want to add some refinement. Maybe not essential, but definitely useful.
on 31 October 2013
I had found the online tutorials from Sony quite limited. They cover simple functions but not much else and provide little guidance on how combinations of functions can be used creatively. Occasionally some useful tips are available via their newsletter but generally it is difficult to get more detailed advice. Trying to interpret Vegas Pro tutorials or Youtube clips can be helpful but then you have to work out what is possible in the non-Pro version.
This book is what I have been looking for. Having said that I don't suppose it will be perfect. Starting to read it from cover to cover like a novel is a bit pointless. Instead I have dipped into it several time whilst working on a project. On each occasion I end up following references to other parts of the book and learn stuff that is useful and which, most importantly, will help me to use Platinum 12 creatively. It is written in accessible language, the contents page breaks down the book page by page which is a necessary level of detail.
It will take a lot more time spent working with Platinum 12, dipping into the book, to finally identify what its limitations are. But I think that as an intermediate guide it is going to turn out to be invaluable.
on 16 April 2013
I am of that generation (old), that likes having a reference book on the software I'm using and in that respect, this is a good one that answers the little details that often get missed in the "Help" files so I am delighted with it. In fact, Sony do very good on line tutorials on using their video products and between the two, you should have all the bases covered.
on 18 January 2014
This is a fabulous book for anyone wanting to edit video. I have used Sony Vegas and DVD Architect for years but with limited help from the user manual and help menus which seemed to assume that I would know what it meant by "aspect ratio" and other technical terms. Well now, at last, I do - thanks to Steve Grisetti and Movipix. No prior knowledge is assumed; everything is patiently and clearly explained and I now understand how easy it is to undermine the quality of a finished product, however good the original footage, by choosing the wrong initial settings for a project. As well as explanations of what each option does, there are also recommendations of which ones to use, which is a vast improvement on the educated guess method of selection that I used to employ! It has also brought me up to date on handling HD footage and it even has suggested work-arounds for importing seemingly incompatible media. Investing in this book is likely to save many hours of trial and error so, for me, it was well worth every penny.
on 28 April 2013
I bought this book to accompany my Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12. The software is out of this world and far better that Serif/ Coral versions of editing software. I am still taking time to read this easy to understand 'idiots guide' and give it a nice 4 star rating. Recommended as an addition to the software.
on 17 November 2013
This guide has opened my eyes to so many tips and tricks that I'd never chance upon by just playing with the software. Unlike Sony's own publication it has full colour illustrations. I know it's a tired cliche - but this is the book that should accompany the software. If you use Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 - BUY THIS BOOK NOW! If you use other video editing software, uninstall it, buy Platinum 12 AND this book.
on 20 September 2013
I found the digital manual provided with the software and the tutorials and online help rather irksome. I am not a novice when it comes to video editing and I have used various packages over the years. This book is thoughtfully put together, readable, easy to follow and contains many useful hints and tips. It is certainly the case that my editing sessions have gone far more smoothly with fewer frustrations since I've had this publication at my elbow. If you're one of those people who prefers a book to on-screen help this is for you. It's pitched at a level which will be useful to all but the most adept. I am now contemplating buying its sister publication which deals with Sony DVD Architect Studio.
on 5 July 2013
I have been using sony movie studio from version 10 and bought the new version every year since.There is never much difference in the versions apart from a few new things added to make peaple like me buy it. Using the basic program never changes. I learnt how to use the program from tutorials on you tube and mainly trial and error. When I saw this book on sale I bought it, as there is always something you want to do, and can never find out how to do it!
The book covers everything you want to know with step by step instructions, and has been a use to me a few times on my last project.
on 12 February 2014
The Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 comes with a warning: it is very powerful, has a steep learner curve and is not intuitive. When you put those three things together a good and well illustrated guide can not only save many hours of frustration but lead you to functions that you would not necessarily quickly find on your own. All in all well recommended if you have previously used other editing programmes and have now changed to the Sony system.
on 12 February 2014
Most software I can get to grips with without needing a book but Movie Studio has a lot of features and it is not immediately obvious how they work or how best to use them. Well written, well structured, well illustrated, fair value.