Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 January 2014
If you like your books well written, full of details and believable, then this is the book for you.

However most fantasy fans like action packed fast tales with a bit of humour on the side. If that is you, then I doubt that you would get past the first three chapters.

I enjoyed it though, and I found the slower pace and minute details refreshing. I did have some problems though with the whole American thing; characters were always drinking coffee, using football (American football that is, not the real thing) for analogies, and comparing the new culture and politics with the American model!

But hey, I survived and I enjoyed it (have I said that already?) So maybe you will too, give it a go.
on 4 April 2012
I'm no word-smith myself, but I know when I enjoy a good read. And this is one of them. Personally I am stuck in the Fantasy/Fiction genre but I do love it so!
Chronicles Of Terah is a terrific read that will take you to that "special place" where the real world is shut out for a while.
The characters are very well put together and I found a little of myself in each of them. The story is fast paced which always helps to keep your attention.
Highly reccomend this series.
(To give you an idea, my usual reads are Terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind, etc)
on 17 August 2012
I would give this book 3-3.5/5. It's certainly well-written, the story flows well with hardly any plot hole at all, characters are likeable, the world of Terah is very well described, but also very logical, and it's easy to immerse yourself in the book. Despite its size, over 16.000 units on Kindle, you are halfway through before you realize.

The main downside is a general lack of interpersonal drama. Characters do small talk really well, but never really disagree, argue, fall out or show any sign of a temper. They are not boring Mary Sues, far from it, but they just always seem logical to the point of repressed, considering the magnitude of the situation. More or less the same could be said for most of the story itself - things always go according to plan, with not much out of the ordinary ever happening. Again, if you expect breathtaking moments, surprises, emotions and drama, you won't find much here. The book tends to get a bit formulaic, falling into somewhat predictable patterns, amplified by a tendency of the author to sacrifice immediacy by describing everything at lenght. In fact, the book could do with some editing, as there are plenty of scenes or exchanges that don't really add anything to the story or to the characters, and after a while make you wish things would get more to the point.

So, all in all, a good, well-written story, but not quite something taking your breath away.
on 12 July 2011
Bought after trying the sample - a really gripping story where you can really identify with the main characters - an original take on an alternative reality earth - great value and a good length.
on 2 December 2011
I thought the premise of this book was interesting. Not in a ground-breaking type of way but liked the idea of the mirror image of Earth.

The writing style however was too descriptive and circumstantial and there were long passages in the book when it was like sitting behind 2 teenagers on a bus "so I said to him.... and the she turned round and told me....." the type of narrative that fills pages but does not always move the story on.

Also, the characters fall very neatly into goody and baddy camps. Is it aimed at children that it needs to be so black and white?

But, there have been plenty of Kindle books that have been that bad that I did not finish them so this book was not so bad. I think the story could easily be developed further to something good but seriously needs editing and fleshing out some of the characters.
on 18 March 2011
I've finished "The Master's Chair" and grew sadder as I approached the end feeling as if I was going to say good bye to friends. The author really draws you into the fantasy world so that you feel you could live there and that you know the people. It's a low-tech world with magical races and sorcerers but I found I could suspend disbelief and really enjoy the details of day to day living. It is not a paradise but is one of the more attractive fantasy worlds I've read about. I'm very impatient for the arrival of the sequel.
on 16 November 2013
I chose this rating because anything less would not do the book justice. I found it to be the sort of book one could get very engrossed in, or pick up any time and remember what was going on.
on 26 August 2014
Didn't really enjoy this book at all, gave up reading about 2 3rds of the way through. I kept thinking something will happen soon so was compelled to keep reading but nothing much did happen. It kept me just on the edge of my seat the whole time so I got fed up with waiting in the end and gave up. It is an odd book, nothing happens but you keep reading just in case, even the dragon was a let down. You think ooh they are going to meet a dragon that has to be exciting. When they get there it all falls flat, one of them is a bit scared the other isn't dragon isn't scary just like any other character in the book really, a bit wet.
on 2 January 2013
Nothing ground breaking new in the world in itself (elves, giants, dwarves, sorcerers etc) but the story reads nicely and you find yourself wanting to know what's going to happen to the characters next.
Looks a bit like a teenage book though, not sure I was in the right section when I bought it (I'm not a teenager). Might be why everything seems to work out pretty well and the heroes adventures don't look too dangerous.
But all in all a good book and a nice relaxing story.
on 6 March 2013
At first I thought the book was slow winded and it annoyed me that it included every little detail but I soon came to love it. The author is an incredible writer. This is a fantastic book and you really come to love the characters. I would recommend this book to anyone and I truly hope that the author many more books to this series