Customer reviews

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 March 2013
Despite the debilitating side effects of migraine medication, and of course the migraine, I have spent most of the morning devouring this book. It takes quite a book to get me through that I can tell you! The story is well paced and well told. It doesn't rush along so as to leave the reader panting to catch up, nor does it ever get tedious. It isn't so much "whodunnit?" as "who dun what, when?" and although I worked it out fairly quickly - the clues are there, but so are the red herrings - I also had an alternative scenario in mind. Having those ideas in place didn't detract from my engagement with the book in any way whatsoever though. I liked the contrasts between the socially engaged, and community life of one sister and the lonely, fearful life of the other one. The narrative is beautifully descriptive but not intrusively so. A huge plus point is the way in which the detective, whose own life has been destroyed by tragedy, learns from this case that he has to move on and allow himself to open his heart and build his faltering relationship - such an antithesis of the usual cynical, detective, losing the battle with the demons in his own life. This one solidly vanquishes them.

There are one or two typos which really need correction - one of them being that in one instance the name of the surviving sister is used as that of the victim. From time to time the narrative is told in the voice of the dead sister with no warning. I didn't find it a problem, but perhaps it might be an idea to signal that, by just inserting the victim's name as a chapter heading?

Although on the whole the references were right, there were one or two which sounded American. The biggest one being that when he was called "officer" in the way that many of us do, the policeman insisted that he should be called "detective". Being British, Michelle Muckley should have known that he would have identified himself as "inspector", "chief inspector" or whatever his rank was. This was an issue which was repeated throughout the novel and irritated me each time.

Overall this is a good story, and worth spending the time to read and I am happy to recommend it.
on 7 January 2013
It is a Fantastic book it has something of everything in it Happiness, Sadness Heartbreak. Just like your first book i could not put this down once i got into it, You have a way of telling a story that makes you want to keep reading until you have come to the end of the book.
Cannot wait until your next book comes out
on 26 January 2013
Escaping Life by Michelle Muckley is a book that holds the reader in anticipation and suspense from the beginning to the end.

In this book, the style and rich descriptive language captivates the readers' imagination to allow them to become immersed within the setting and to explore into the minds of the characters.

Escaping life is not only enjoyable to read, but is also didactic. It shows that through suffering comes strength and the desire to change and to move forward.

It is a book that you cannot stop reading until you come to the end!
on 1 April 2013
I enjoyed this book and would recommend it. I did about half way through feel I had figured out what happened and was right but that didnt spoil it for me. I found the writing style appealing and felt for the main character.
on 4 March 2013
A thoroughly good read; an unusual plot that twists and turns to keep the reader interested. A clever and unexpected ending. Would recommend this book and am looking forward to future novels.
on 24 September 2013
I did enjoy this book and feel it is one that would be well adapted for the TV or big screen . It is one of those books that keeps moving from the present to the past and certainly the first time it took me a few seconds to work out just exactly where I was in the story ! That said the plot was followable even if there were a fair few holes in it - nevertheless it was a rollercoaster of a ride with twists and turns aplenty !
on 22 September 2014
This book is so different from Psychophelia which I enjoyed and induced me to read another from the author. A good story, somewhat predictable, but devoid of the sharply written black humour in the previous book. Long factual accounts That added little to the story became tedious to me and I ended up speed reading to get the book finished. Disappointing.
on 14 November 2013
I found this book exceptionally annoying at times as you being to think it is going to get going only to find the engine reverts back to a monotone hum rather than a full rev. Hardly a riveting read and although some of the characters are fairly interesting I felt that the text delved a little to far into their backgrounds and didn't leave much for the imagination at all. It kinda digressed onto matters way off the main story to often about details that were not relevant.

Basically, the bereaved sister was protecting her sibling, by pretending to have died in a car crash, from her father who killed their mother before the crash then finally killing herself four years on (for real) trying to let out the truth by leaving a few random clues.

Not a bad story line but the cat was let out of the bag fairly early on leaving the rest of the story very lame and fairly predictable, which some people might find interesting but not for me and hence the two stars I'm afraid.
on 1 April 2013
I did finish the book but got increasingly frustrated with the characters, storyline and the fact that it became increasingly difficult to decide where the story is located. Haven is some idyllic seaside resort but the city - Chesterfield is really nearby? At one stage I wondered if the book had been meant for the American market, such wAS the talk of cops and guys but came to the conclusion that it was just badly edited.
on 4 April 2013
Too many clues, I knew near the beginning who the murderer was, too long winded. Best bit was the desciption of seaside village.