on 23 October 2017
I knew nothing about WordPress when I bought this book, having used Serif WebPlus exclusively for many years. However, Serif no longer supports WebPlus and its time to move on.
This book gave me a good basic grounding, without which I wouldn't have got anywhere. As it says, it is for a complete beginner - which is what I was. You will be able to piece together a basic website with the information in this book and that is why I have given it five stars.
I especially liked the step by step approach that this book takes as it suits my temperament. For me though, it is time to start looking for a more 'in depth' book as I want to learn more about writing the various procedures in PHP, for myself.
on 7 March 2012
wonderful and short, clear and consistent quality advice on how to start a website with wordpress, useful also to people in the middle of the process, like me, for a wider perspective on the future development of a simple website. It doesn't go deep but helps to finish the job and publish!
on 13 June 2017
Really good clear guide and will get you started with relative ease
on 23 November 2017
Very interesting content and helpful for the purpose ordered.
on 21 September 2017
Very easy to read. Gives anyone a basic knowlege of how to get a WordPress set up.
on 2 November 2017
Good practical guide. Well worth the money
on 6 April 2017
Very clear to follow just what I was looking for.
on 21 July 2012
First of all let me agree with most other reviewers and compliment Sarah on producing this well-written and easy to follow short book on WordPress. Like most novices, I'd read that WP is the flexible future if I wanted to produce my own website without going to Geekdom and back and needing to learn and write in code. Before buying her download, I'd spent fuddled days reading WP Forums, watching videos and getting nowhere fast and thinking "Here we go again". Simple stuff needs to win in 2012.

I read a few reviews on here and Amazon.com and thought there's nothing to lose by buying this download. By following her book page by page, you very quickly get a basic website structure in place and up and running. Her common theme is "Don't ask - just do it!" and that's fine by me because it works and works well. The problem is that you will come away with a basic website/blog listing a couple of pages very quickly but you will have completely outgrown the book and are left wanting. For instance, it doesn't cover some very basic functions such as page sorting and this leaves your website page structure in an illogical order (eg a Contact page at the beginning rather than as the last page) and you're back to WP Forums and videos to fix it.

Her style of writing and teaching process are great but Sarah really does need to produce another 3 more advanced books quickly to take the student step-by-step on to better things. As it is today, I've nowhere to go except buy again from another author, start again and try and move upwards. And that's not what I need.
on 13 June 2013
I got introduced to wordpress by an adventure when I was looking into ways of building my own website without using a web designer. I started to build the site, but it was looking like that of an amateur, as I could not use/edit most of the dashboard functions. This then made me to look for a wordpress book on Amazon. I bought the first book "24-hour Wordpress Trainer" but this book did not really helped me with the way I would have wanted my site to look. I then went back to Amazon to look for other wordpress books, and them came across "Wordpress To Go" by Sarah McHarry. I decided to give the book a go, based on the reviews of people who have bought this book. As soon as I opened the book, I knew outright that this book will help me a great deal in achieving my dream of building at least a good wordpress site. I was not disappointed since Sarah began with how to buy a domain name and hosting of your site.
This book gave lessons on how to install wordpress, log in and out of wordpress which also include how to customise your wordpress site. I'm already used to all these and simply opened to the more needed area like "steps to a perfect website", "all about widgets", etc. Of most interest and importance to me are:
• How to install wordpress themes and customise it with regards to background, image, colour scheme, site title, header image and installation of useful plugins.
• Adding of images to wordpress site which she explained on how to do this from the "media library" and how you can upload images for future use in the media library. I have no idea on how to use this before until I read this wordpress to go by Sarah. Sarah also gave her opinion about adding images/photos to your pages/post as it literally makes your webpage look attractive and relevant.
• This book thought me how to add a video to my site, I did not even know that it was so simple and easy to install a video that you recorded by yourself or someone else until I read this wordpress book.
Other interesting things that I learnt in this book which though is for a beginner in wordpress and not for the advanced students include:
• How to add an image using a text widget.
• How to use a text widget to display a banner Ad.
• Sarah's opinion about custom menu and why it is good to use them. According to the author, custom menus are a relatively new feature of wordpress but it add a lot of flexibility and power to the design of a wordpress site.
• The author also shows how to create a primary, secondary menu and setting the home page of your wordpress site.
This book is really good for a beginner in wordpress and is fully loaded with so many examples and instructions on how to get started, be up and running within few hours of dedication and hardwork.

Esther
(www.tld-reviews.com)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 10 May 2012
I got this when it was a free download. But it's now gone back up to about 3.50. Never fear, this is a quite outstanding easy to read and easy to carry out guide. Well worth the small amount the author wants for it. If you follow the author's suggestions and do things in order, I have no doubt that most people could get a website up and working in 24 hours. The book is largely jargon free and holds you by the hand without insulting you.

For a UK audience there are references to american suppliers, but you can ignore those. Most UK hosting companies have one click Wordpress installation (For example 123-reg whom I use) - and you can then go ahead and build your website.