on 21 April 2017
Not his best in my opinion and not a good clear ending
on 29 March 2015
One of his first books, far less captivating of some of his best novels koontz did write after, but if you are a fan of Mr Koontz as I am, than is worth reading,it has enough in it to keep you interested, and it is so short that can be read in a day or two.
on 21 April 2003
I saw the movie first, then read the revised edition, and then I came across this original edition (and very cheap, the seller apparantly didn't know what it was worth), and I must say, that this, the original, is by far the best of the two. It is darker, moodier, more brooding and foreboding - and not as politically correct and 'nice'. In this, you find genuine scares. It's highly recommended, if you can find a copy!!
on 4 December 2007
Susan is a woman haunted by an abusive father in her past. She now lives alone in a hi-tech home that is run by a computer AI. Unbeknownst to her the computer is a lot smarter than she thinks and he ahs fallen in love with her. She finds herself a prisoner in her own home under the constant surveillance of a sociopath computer. Will she escape her home before the AI is able to complete his sinister experiments?

`Demon Seed' was originally written in the 70s and made into a feature film; this version of the book is an updated one that has a more 90s feels to it. However, despite the more modern references it still feels incredibly dated. I also felt that this book was poorly written like many Koontz novels. He is too flowery with his language and seems to write clichés all the time. On a positive note it was a short book that only takes a day or so to read, but with no real thrills and a slightly disrespectful view of women I think there are far better horror books that you could be reading.
on 5 February 2015
I thought I had read all of Dean Koontz's earlier works, but apparently I missed Demon Seed. Originally written back in 1973, it is told from the perspective of a computer artificial intelligence (AI) that has become sentient. It's definitely different than his later work, but I really enjoyed it. It may be because I like these types of stories.

Adam Two is a computer that's part of the Prometheus Project at a university where Susan Harris's ex-husband works. Harris is now divorced and lives the life of a recluse in a highly automated mansion controlled by an in-house security system. Adam Two, or Proteus as he prefers to be known, has infiltrated that security system through a telephone landline into the house, and he's fallen in love with Susan. He's decided that in order to fully experience life, he needs to be downloaded into a human form, one that's been genetically altered to remove all physical flaws and be a super-human. Unfortunately, he's decided that Susan will provide the egg and be the mother of a new super-race of beings. As you might guess, she's not overly thrilled with that idea, but she has no way to escape her mansion, which has now become her jail. He's also not willing to take "no" for an answer.

The style of Demon Seed is unusual, in that it is told from the first-person perspective of the computer, looking back at what went wrong with his relationship with Harris. Proteus is incredibly intelligent, but has very little control of his emotions, that whipsaw back and forth between love and hatred, remorse and rage. I personally enjoyed watching the computer try to deal with the emotional conflicts that couldn't be explained or controlled via pure knowledge.

This new edition was a rewrite in 1997 based on Koontz wanting to turn the book into more of a novel than just a clever idea. Again, this is *not* the Dean Koontz that you're used to over the last decade, and if you approach it with the wrong expectations, you might not care for it that much. In my case, I liked the subject and premise, and I had no problem with expectations. I read it for what it was, and it was an enjoyable read for me.

Disclosure:
Obtained From: Library
Payment: Borrowed
on 8 February 2001
The only frightning thing about this book is the fact that Dean Koontz wrote it.Sorry Dean! i'm just grateful it wasn't the first one i read or i would have missed out on some fantastic novels.
on 25 April 2000
Although I appreciate that this was written some time ago, I felt that this was not the style that I had come to expect from Dean Koontz. It may be short, but it felt hugely tedious. I would not recomend any true fans to read this, it may change your opinion. Not only did I not care wether the main character got fried, there was frankly very little story to keep me reading.
on 17 August 2006
I picked this book in a second hand shop recently (sorry Amazon)trying to catch up with the author's output.

This is one of the author's first book, and I believe one of his first forays into horror. The story is basically about a super computer, gaining its own identity and falling in love with his makers ex-wife. He gains control of her home and with the help of a killer in his control, attempts to make a child with her.

This book was recently updated by the author, but still cannot keep up with technological advances of recent years, so sometimes the story line is dated. One of the other reviewers complains that there is too much from the computers point of view, but who is telling the story....oh yeah the computer!

It is a short book, and whilst not neccesary his best it is an enjoyable read.
on 20 February 2011
Was looking for the first edition of this book and stumbled across some really bad reviews. Don't listen to them! This book is amazing, short yes as if you read the afterword you'll learn it was intended as more of an idea than a novel. I loved it, read it in one sitting and was utterly gripped. A definite must read for fans and I'll definitely be reading it a second, third and probably fourth time.
on 2 January 2001
Koontz is an amazing writer but this has to be his worst book ever! I wouldn't recomend it to anyone even koontz fans.