on 6 February 2013
If starting with windows 8, this is an excellent reference book to help along the way. I got this within a day or two of getting my new windows 8 laptop. At first windows 8 was so different, the book seemed to have only limited appeal because what it was saying was almost as puzzling as windows 8 itself. Then little by little it got clearer and easier to use, and the book opened and expanded on what I had found. To me, now having lived with XP then Vista (no Windows 7), it gets better everyday. Now each time I refer back to the book, things fall in place and it shows you how you can expand on what you have learnt. All I can say is that it takes time. Be patient, keep at it, and you should find it to be a very good operating system, especially with the help and tips within this bargain of a book.
on 8 August 2016
Windows 8.1 is still alive and well (mid 2016). This book is short but full of tips and guidance. It is aimed more at users who just want to get on with using the system without necessarily wishing to delve into how and why the operating system acts as it does. The book easily caters for touch and non-touch devices with clear illustrations placed sensibly. Altogether a good introduction for anyone who is faced with Windows 8.1 for the first (or second or third) time. The keyboard tips are especially useful if you like keyboard shortcuts.
on 10 December 2013
If you are new to Windows 8 then this is a great reference book to get you started. Even if you feel that you are reasonably competent it is still worth working through as Windows usually offers more than one way to accomplish a task and there's often a better way than the way you've stumbled upon!
on 30 November 2014
Very useful for older PC users, Windows 8 is a steep learning curve. 9 months before I reach 90 but this book wikk come in very useful Value for money.
on 9 July 2014
Very helpfull
on 14 October 2013
Very helpful, and easy to follow tips and a very useful book, would recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn windows 8.
on 19 July 2013
Looks like most folk find getting started with Windows 8 quite difficult. It's quite a different way of working, especially if, like me, it's on my laptop rather than a tablet. This book is reasonably logically laid out, and I found more than a few tips to provide more efficient usage. I doubt if I would have found several of them without looking specifically as a result of reading that section of this book. I don't need all the "bells and whistles" of the capabilities of any Operating System, and while the book does eventually cover some of the more complex techniques, it covered the basics very well indeed. It keeps a clear distinction between how you use Windows 8 on a tablet or using a mouse, and what can be quite hard to describe finger or mouse movements are described well, such that you very soon learn how to perform the various techniques. It certainly got me through the first period of "Aarrgh! Give me back Windows 7" reaction. Not that it has entirely gone away either, but that's not the fault of this useful little primer!
on 16 June 2013
Just got a new windows 8 pc, been looking everywhere for a book to ease me through it and found this little gem. As its on me kindle i can have it on my desk without the pages turning over themselves. 'Happy Days' . Now just gotta learn how to use the pc :-). Revised 30th July, Even better now Ive got used to it, open the Kindle Ap from your tiles & snap it in place Left or Rt of the page you need help on then you can read the advice you need without using your kindle or a book, :-) , it does sound a little difficult but if i can get my head round it anyone can.
on 25 January 2013
Being new to windows 8 and not having a clue what to press click or download once I had turn on the computer, I bought this book in the hope it would enlighten me as what to do with windows 8. Having read this book cover to cover I'm now pretty good at the basics of windows 8. A great Book to start you off using Windows 8.
on 17 April 2013
So pleased with this book, simply explanations on how to use windows 8. As a silver surfer find it invaluable.