Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now flip flip flip Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Learn more Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 17 January 2013
Downloaded to Kindle.
It is too easy when planning The Trip to get involved in the route and forget the other bits such as nutrition, hydration, costs etc, but don't let that put you off reading this book.
Written with a sense of humour, this book covers many of the things so obvious we tend to overlook them.
The authors Trip was based around 150 miles/6 days, but the sections are more than open enough to allow any reader to adapt the contents to their own planned trips.
Details on training, nutrition, hydration, packing are all adaptable to your own trip plans and worthy of consideration (yes items passed your mind but then faded).
A good reference to help with the planning plus the authors own ride/experience
on 16 January 2017
don't waste your time and money ,lot of padding out in book if you have been touring before, if only for 2 day trip don't bother.
I thought I was going to read about his route ,well I did but did not take long as there were very few pages on it.
If you have never ridden a bike before this book may help you but don't bank on it.
2 people found this helpful
on 25 June 2013
Having done the Welsh 3000 and an Ironman, I still found this a very useful and well written book to enable the planning and understanding of the challenges involved in a Jogle.

The nutrition and hydration chapters, which is key to any endurance activity, are very concise and avoid the evangelical statements that are generally put forward.

Best and quickest read I have found so far.
8 people found this helpful
on 15 February 2014
It might seem strange to buy a guide book on planning a bike trip with no intention of ever carrying it out, but I did. I would advise you to do the same. Royston Wood, the author, sets out whats required and does so in a funny and informative way. It is actually interesting to read about the problems of planning a major physical challenge and the author has a good writing style. I hope this effort encourages them to write more. I recommend this book.
on 9 June 2013
I was struggling to know where to start and how to plan my cycle from Lands End to John O'Groats and I saw this book on Amazon and thought that's just what I need! As well as giving me a good laugh it is packed with excellent information on nutrition, hydration, how to grape dance on your cloths whilst showering and how picturesque the town I work in is!!!!(Kilmarnock)I must admit is was a real motivator and I have followed the instructions on how to map my route on the big road atlas and I am just at the stage of getting into the larger more detailed maps to identify the individual roads. It was very much money well spent and I am very grateful to Roy for his light hearted and very informative book. I better get back to planning my route!
One person found this helpful
on 21 December 2014
A very good read,well set out and highlighted things that you wouldn't have thought of,it was the little things that made the book great to read, for anybody who may be thinking of doing the end to end which ever way round they do it,it's a definite must read
2 people found this helpful
on 10 November 2015
Very good for anyone wanting to do this without having much cycling experience. Really covers everything well and raised things to think about I may have not considered. All this in an easy going, friendly and funny writing style. It's really helped me take doing the end to end from the idea stage to the planning stage, giving me a great basic knowledge to build on over the next few months
One person found this helpful
on 4 November 2014
I appreciated the endeavour and honesty of the book, but it kind of put me off doing this kind of trip. I'm a cyclist but not a 'roadie' and as such felt sorry for the pain at looking at Tarmac for 12 hours plus. The cover photo depicts this very well. Therefore it didn't fulfill the self help brief. None the less, I enjoyed it as a read and it is, in My opinion well written and I can relate to the difficulties of organising a trip such as this.
on 18 June 2018
Excellent book, a few typos here and there but I couldn’t care less about those, the continent is brilliant and it’s given me the encouragement to start planning my own journey.
on 6 May 2013
I did like this book. The only downsides: despite the title the author actually did the JOGLE route. This is OK but a little off-putting if you intend to do the LEJOG route! I had hoped for a little more commentary about his trip. He did about 150 miles a day and yet there was only a paragraph or two describing each leg of the journey.

However I respect Royston for his achievement and pleased I read his book.