Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 July 2015
This is the best vegan cookbook I've seen for recreating the dishes of the standard (meat-eater) diet. The dishes I've tried have all been just like the real thing - the quiche and saag tofu paneer are particularly good. There are no photos, but as someone else said you can find them on the gentle chef website, and many of the recipes will be familiar to most from their meat-eating days. Specialist ingredients are required for some recipes but these can easily be purchased on amazon. Recipes are concise and easy to follow and there are special sections on preparing tofu, seitanic, etc. All the staples are in here (cheese, dairy and meat alternatives) as well as American, European and eastern dishes. All in all a fantastic book for anyone look to recreate the food that they've most likely grown up with.
on 11 March 2017
Great as all Conroy's books is a bible in the kitchen.
on 7 April 2017
Very good recipes well written and clear
on 25 October 2013
I use this book almost every day. The seitan is amazing and it has even fooled hardened meateaters and gotten me an invitation for Christmas dinner at a vegan animal sanctuary. Best vegan cookbook ever.
on 19 May 2014
I am in the UK and bought this book because it has lots of recipes for seitan in. I love it. It gives lots of info about dishes as well as actual recipes. In the UK some of the ingredients might not be available in high street supermarkets, but as with most vegan recipes...where there's a will, there's a way! Highly recommended.
on 25 October 2013
I say that as no other book I own - and I own over fifty vegan cook books - has such amazing recipes for seitan that actually taste great and appeal to all those wanting to make the change from eating meat - for whatever reason. Skye Michael Conroy is an accomplished seitan chef but wait... There's more. Actually a lot more. And the recipes are all great in my opinion. I run a vegan catering business and these recipes are fantastic when you have a mixed get together. Everyone will eat them and come back for more. There are no pictures in the print version of the book. I repeat... No pictures. The Gentle Chef web site has full color pics of all the recipes.

If you are looking for a vegan cook book with 101 recipes for preparing broccoli then buy something else. This is not a book for salads or smoothies. It is a book to help you transition to a more compassionate way of life if you have been used to eating meat - and a book for those already vegan to create foods that all will recognize and eat. I love this book! Oh yes... Bonus! There is a Facebook group where you can get even more help if you need it as well as lots of encouragement for starting vegans. Buy this book!
on 16 April 2017
While the book is generally informate. There are 2 major problems. Firstly, it's an American publication. Secondly, apart from a minute about of small poor quality black and white photos. The book is not illustrated. There are no photographs showing how the recipies should look. How anyone could comprehend the notion of a cookbook with no recipe photos is beyond me.
It's like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle blindfolded!
on 16 May 2014
This is an excellent vegan cookbook, and will most likely revolutionize the way in which a lot of vegans eat. Not only are the recipes written in detail, but Chef Skye also has a website which shows photos of all the recipes in this book. There is also a Facebook group designed to help those of us using Chef Skye's books. I am purchasing a set of cookbooks to keep in the UK, and another set to keep in the USA.
on 12 September 2016
I very good reference book. I bought this primarily as an interest in making my own seitan. There are endless flavouring options offered as well as some different cooking methods. However I was disappointed that there isn't any reference to either the pressure cooker or slow cooker, both of which are often used to a great extent in many kitchens. At first I was quite nervous as there is a great emphasis on total correctness when weighing ingredients, preparing and cooking. Also I really don't like the fact that seitan is referred to as a meat replacement and flavourings like bacon and chicken are used (different spelling I know), but that happens way beyond this book. So despite my dislike of meat terms, I've had a go at the version referred to as a chicken flavour. I wasn't as precise as recommended, I used a previously prepared broth and I simmered the seitan dough in the slow cooker. It worked a treat. I was very pleasantly surprised. It's gone in the freezer for now but will soon be added to a curry. Having read this book and realized perfect precision may not be necessary, I'm looking forward to trying other flavour options.
A good addition to the recipe book library as I don't think there is another book out there that covers protein alternatives like this one.
on 16 April 2015
Wow what can I say, if you are wanting to become vegan or you are vegan then this is the book for you. I have quite a few vegan cook books and believe me when I say I don't even look in them they are useless. I have only had this book for about two weeks now but it is amazing, I have only tried 6 recipes so far and they are delicious. I also bought the non dairy book written by the gentle chef. Amazing. I will never buy another vegan book again, apart from the gentle chef Skye Michael Conroy. He is on Facebook and he will help you if you have any questions. Don't hesitate you won't look back.