Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 October 2013
Picked as an easy reader and it served it's purpose. Good story with no hard going parts and can be picked up from anywhere. Great!
on 3 July 2012
I was a bit unsure how I felt about this book. It kept me entertained and turning pages, so I can't say that I didn't enjoy it. Overall it felt a bit like fluff gothic romance literature, with rather cliched characters and memes throughout. I agree with another reviewer that it went on a bit. There were parts that felt like they should have been edited out, because they were just a repetition of something that had been said before, said by a different character. It would have fared better as a shorter novella I think. The switching of POV was a bit irritating and confusing and I didn't really see the benefit of doing it that way. I had worked out most of the plot quite early on, so it was a bit predictable. The main character ended up annoying me a bit, with her plucky optimism in the face of a very bizarre situation, and her integral role in this family drama after a total of three days seemed a bit unbelievable and overly quick. Then again, there were some bright moments where it felt like it was verging on something deeper. The character of Alfie was well done, I thought, and the whole theme of identity could have been made into something more with a little less emphasis on the cliched gothic manor family and more on his character. At this low price though, it is good value for an entertaining, light read.
on 21 January 2013
House of Silence, by Linda Gillard. Well written, good story.Kept me interested passed my bedtime!! Will buy more of her books.
on 20 July 2016
A very unusual story, with a host of interesting characters. I loved it and am looking forward to reading more by this author.
on 2 October 2014
Didn't know the author, just chanced upon title. Really enjoyed the plot and each character. Was engaged from start to finish.
on 23 February 2013
Was a really easy read with great characters. Full of mystery but not quite the ending it deserved. Well worth reading though!
on 17 May 2014
This was a clever story unfolding slowly through the book. The truth was unexpected and rather poignant. I would recommend it
on 12 August 2011
The first book I have read by Ms. Gillard but it will not be the last. I really appreciated the beauty and perception of the prose as well as the genuinely interesting plot. Well above average, especially in view of the price.
on 17 June 2013
Great once i got into it! It takes patience, then interesting idea. Main character is strong and carries the story well.
on 1 November 2013
Not read any of this author's work before, but quite enjoyed it, although won't be dashing out looking for her next novel.