Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 May 2013
This is the first volume in a projected set of five. The author states openly that this is not a self-help book; it requires the input of a teacher. That said, I am using it to aid my own learning of Gaelic.

I'm impressed: the course progresses logically (as the title suggests), and with excellent explanations of how the language works. It offers an abundance of examples and well-constructed exercises that have already cleared up a couple of long-standing issues for me that had been holding me back. The books have a dedicated website from which you can download answer keys to the exercises and reading passages.

Anyone who is coming to the learning of Gaelic late in life - I'm over sixty - will appreciate the attention given to logical explanations of Gaelic grammar, as well as to current colloquial usage. Most courses these days are based on conversational approaches - and rightly so, but these courses often fall down on explaining grammar and usage: this book would form an excellent extra level of support to those who want to 'understand' how Gaelic works as well as being able to converse in it.

Of course, the reader will still need to put much effort into committing vocabulary lists to memory, but that is made easier by being made aware of the 'how and why' of the language constructions used.

I congratulate the author and the publishers of this book - together, they have produced an immensely accessible learning resource. I will definitely be buying the second volume in a few weeks time. If that turns out to be as well written and helpful as the first volume, I shall also be buying volumes 3 - 5.

It makes me wish I was already good enough to be a Gaelic tutor - I'd enjoy using this textbook in the classroom. I'm sure it will make an excellent addition to any tutor's library. If you are teaching yourself, don't be put off by the author's insistence that the book is for class-based learning only. In my opinion, it is a thoroughly useful resource to any learner of Gaelic.
on 13 September 2013
Very well laid out. Extremely clearly written. Well chosen examples. The author explains things some grammar writers take for granted that a student is assumed to already know. [but in many cases doesn't] A beginner would do well choosing this book; it is so well organized that the learning is well paced. I am using this for a review and going very quickly. Interestingly enough, I am catching all the little things I didn't really understand before. This book explains the 'why's.'

A good choice for a school or program, as well as for independent study. I am looking forward to Part II, which I have, and part III which is in the post.

Kudos to the author

Dr Bil Hawkins
on 26 September 2015
Fine, I could probably have started on book 2 as it was easier than expected. I won`t be buying book 2 until 3 and 4 are published which was supposed to be two years ago. (currently 2015). Its unfair to start a course and for said course to stop midway through.
on 13 November 2013
I am using this book for self-study (which it is explicitly not supposed to be used for) and am finding it really, really helpful. This is probably one of the best books out there to actually teach some of the structures you need to get your head around. I particularly like how it starts off with telling you how to link sentences together - something other books take quite some time to get around to! I'm not sure if this is for complete beginners but if you, like me, have struggled with other Gaelic books this is a particularly good book to consolidate and explain the main structures of the language. I'm looking forward to using some of the future books.
on 13 February 2015
This IS a progressive Gaelic course, unlike most, but potential purchasers should beware: there is shamefully little text on almost every page. The whole book could easily be condesned into a third of its size, which makes it rather expensive. Another downside is the lack of information on pronunciation, one of the hardest aspects of learning Gaelic. The course itself jumps about quite a bit, with a distinct shortage of proper headings to guide the reader. In short, a missed opportunity.
on 31 May 2015
Excellent series, very much hope the 3rd 4th & 5th books are completed and published. Best Gaelic learning books in my experience. 'S math a rinn sibh Moray Watson! Tapadh leibh.
on 12 June 2015
Dìreach sgoinneil! Such an amazing book. Clear, concise and understandable. The only thing is there's no transliteration but I knew how to read it anyway. Glè mhath!
on 19 October 2015
Good book and very good service. Definitely recommend and will use seller again.
on 2 September 2015