on 4 April 2016
I bought this book about a month before getting my TEFL certification. I managed to forget all about it until about a month or two after I had completed my certification and I have been kicking myself for not remembering sooner.
I have found the book to be extremely useful to me - as a brand new teacher - in coming up with activities to use with my students. Before I remembered I had the book, I would trawl through the internet, trying to find something appropriate to use. Usually ending up distracted by something totally irrelevant. Now I usually go to this book first where I can usually find something good to use. It has saved me a lot of time!
The extra materials provided are so good as well - there's a bunch of pre-made boardgames, flashcards, etc. as well as blank versions. It's so nice to have these ready made as they look great, which I think is important, but is usually so time-consuming to make yourself. Shelley is also extremely helpful if you email her with questions. Great customer service :)

I don't know about hardened veterans, but I reckon this book is brilliant for new teachers who need a little help building up a mental catalogue of great ESL activities.
on 4 December 2014
This excellent book is highly comprehensive and has a lot of my favourite games and activities, along with others that are less familiar.

It is very neatly structured, with each activity sorted into an appropriate category, based on its most useful purpose.

Unlike a lot of the material you see online, the book has obviously been written by someone with great skills and expertise. There is plenty here that can be used for free practice, revision, or lead-in activities.

Some of my favourite activities, such as jigsaw reading, grammar auctions and dictations are clearly explained.

Although I have been teaching for ten years (in Australia, South Korea, Cambodia, Japan and Thailand) and am a regular reader of useful websites like the British Council’s, I still found lots of useful stuff.

For a new teacher, or a pre-CELTA teacher, I suggest this book is a must-have, yet I know of highly experienced teachers who would benefit too.

Mark Sinnott
Australian Centre for Education, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
on 11 June 2015
As a free-lance ESOL and EFL teacher I have bought a library of course books, activity books and teaching resources but have needed to buy teaching activities for both subject areas as they are usually are sold separately which can be expensive. However, this book is easily adapted for both areas.In my 10 years of teaching experience, even for teaching one specialism I have bought a multitude of books to support the different language skills and grammatical areas as well as needing to buy separate books for the different levels.

This is the best book ever for modern interactive games using attractive fun hands-on activities with a wide range of quizzes, puzzles, board games as well as the more traditional worksheets which are also of high quality, interesting and fun for individual work, pair work and group work, covering all language and skill areas and for all levels!I highly recommend it.

My only criticism is that the front cover does not do the content justice for which this book truly deserves and it could be a larger print but it is ideal for photocopying double pages as it is . Oh and you can e-mail the author too for free advice on the activities and receive more activities too. I have never been offered such brilliant customer service!. Being reasonably priced too I assure you if you invest in it I guarantee you investing in one you won't be disappointed.

Linda
on 24 February 2016
Very useful book for teachers of teens and adults with tons of ideas to motivate the learners and have fun in the class!
Since I started using the games and activities contained in this book my job became so much more rewarding. Class management issues just resolved themselves because my students now absolutely love my lessons! They are learning so much faster and retaining so much more during the classes now without even noticing that they are doing the hard work of learning a foreign language! I use this book for my teens classes but there are lots of ideas for the teachers of adults as well. It's a very well written and well thought-through book, the games ideas are great as they cater to all styles of learning and to all four skills. I can't imagine going to a class now without at least one of these games ready to use - and the best thing is that most of them don't even require much preparation time. Just read the description and you are ready to go. I really highly recommend this book to all the teachers out there who want to make a difference in their students' life and speed up and increase their enjoyment of language learning!
on 2 October 2017
Lots of really useful, practical games and activities. A very welcome addition to my ESOL library and I would recommend it.
on 20 June 2013
Arrived on time and are a great help for lesson planning. Full of imaginative ideas. and save me alot of time and preparation when I don't have time
on 7 October 2015
Shelley Ann Vernon Books I have to say are a real asset to any English language teacher or academy which requires dynamic and enjoyable activities for students. I have purchased a few of her books as of now due to her understanding of language learning and concepts. The books are easy to use and really self explicit. I would highly recommend this series to anyone.
on 24 September 2016
What a fantastic book - full of easy to follow, clearly described lessons/activities. Have already used some of the ideas. A great buy!
on 25 April 2015
A very useful resource book for both new and experienced teachers. User friendly format. Book comes with link to downloadable templates, which is a great bonus. As mentioned by previous reviewer, additional support / personal contact from author pleasant surprise. Cheaper from Wordery at time of purchase.
on 18 May 2015
Very good and useful book! I'm getting lots of ideas for my lessons. It has made my lessons more engaging and I also feel more motivated. Moreover, the webpage is great and you can ask Shelley anything and you get an instant answer. Thank you Shelley